Monday, September 21, 2015

Guest Author Annie Anthony - Fixin' Biscuits from First Ladylove #lesfic

First Ladylove is now up for pre-order in eBook! To celebrate, some of the authors have sent in previews of their stories for you to enjoy. First up is Annie Anthony.

Buy The Book: ARe ~ AMZ


About the Story

After a staggering loss, Cleary McDowell becomes mother, daughter, and spouse to the Fixin' Biscuits diner. Weekly specials, uniforms, and regular customers keep Cleary's life simple as comfort food... but nowhere near as fulfilling.

Ella Freitag has just made a life-changing decision: one that will take her from inside a booth at Fixin' Biscuits to behind the counter. Her choices, as well as her secrets, draw Cleary into uncomfortable emotional territory.

When Ella's secret overlaps with Cleary's, will their first lesbian romance mean a second chance?

Preview

I dribbled the last of the cream from the stainless steel pitcher into a chipped stoneware mug. Perfect example of adult accountability. I chipped that mug early one morning, nicked the lip against the counter while I was carrying a few too many things on a few too many hands (and fingers, as this mug had been empty and I’d looped the handle over my thumb.) I chipped it, I bought it, so to speak. I kept that mug in a secure place behind the counter and when I take breaks, I drink only from the mug that I damaged. DeeDee would not care, she’d toss the mug and not even dock me for it, but it’s the principle. I sipped from the side of the lip that was smooth, the chip close but not close enough to cut me. I looked at this new-ish girl, tried to see past the tacky lipcolor, way too dark for lips that thin on a face that pale. I noticed a bump in her hair that she hadn’t smoothed when she’d fastened a barrette that held growing-out bangs.

I checked my spoon for water spots and wiped it clear with a fingertip. “I know you’re still fairly new here and maybe don’t know how things work. Fixin’ Biscuits runs on a very regular schedule. I have my schedule, you have yours. DeeDee makes the schedule, we work the schedule. If you want to work your job around your social life, try applying out at the mall.” I took a slow sip of my coffee, letting the impact of my ‘no’ settle in. “I’m off this Sunday. And unless you decide not to show, which of course would cost you your job, you will be working.”

“My grandmother is dying,” she squinted at me. Her voice was angry and her eyes glimmered with what I assumed was disdain. “I have to go visit her in the hospital.”

“Honey, go visit her Saturday night.” I pulled a piece of day old bagel off with my fingers and smeared a thin layer of butter from a foil packet onto the soft-enough center. I put the food in my mouth and swung the stool to right, looking past the toastie girl to the small TV perched above the counter. “I’m off this Sunday. Now will you excuse me? We full-timers need our breaks.”

About the Author

Annie Anthony is a Chicago native who moved to Los Angeles in 2013. A professional holder of day jobs, she has handled complex insurance claims, worked for a dating service, edited more than fifty books in almost every genre, and managed the day-to-day operations of an indie e-book publisher until early 2015.

Annie holds an MFA in creative writing and has taught writing at the community college level and in writing workshops. She loves to crochet and donates much of what she makes to various hospitals. An avid volunteer, Annie has worked with medically fragile children and with nonprofits supporting GLBTQ issues since 2006.

Annie's lesbian erotic short, Blue Suede Boi, was a finalist for a Goldie in the erotica category. Find all of Annie's books on Amazon, Goodreads, and her various publisher's websites. A complete list of publications is current on her blog.

Thank you so much for reading and please keep in touch. Annie loves to connect with readers!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/writer.annie.anthonyBlog: https://annieanthonydotcom.wordpress.comE-mail: annie.anthony.author@gmail.comTwitter: https://twitter.com/@anthony_annie/

No comments: