Friday, March 13, 2015

TGIF: Time To Read, Part IX - Insurrection

I may have mentioned this before, but I find when I read more, I am more productive. I plowed through a number of books this past week, and did a fair amount of writing as well. I don't know if other writers see this correlation, but I'll keep chugging away. I had hoped not to have a cookie booth this weekend, but we got called up at the last minute. Ah well. It's for a good cause, and I'm almost done with two stories.

Now for the reading. I've have Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) on my TBR forever and a day. I somehow managed to avoid spoilers, and I finished this in two days. Holy cow. That's pretty much all I have to say. It's billed as a thriller, but I could slip it onto the horror shelf with a good argument. Man...I'm almost spooked to see the movie, and I read a lot of King and Harris.

I picked up The Woman in the Movie Star Dress by Praveen Asthana (AMZ / BN) by virtue of the cover and interesting premise. From my real name review on GR: Genevieve comes to believe that these dresses hold the personalities of those who originally wore them. Throughout the story she chooses attire to correspond with how she wants to act when on dates. The arrival of red dress similar to one Marilyn Monroe wore in a film arouses her interest but is quickly sold, and afterward she learns its true history.

The idea of transference/chi in film wardrobe was an intriguing concept, and the author progressed the story well for the most part. There are a number of factual and spelling errors that are hopefully cleaned up in the final version. The only reason I knocked this down a star was for the side plot - the story of the beleaguered wife who bought the Marilyn dress. Her story just seemed to end without a firm conclusion. Aside from that, a very interesting suspense.

I expect to finish The Dowry Bride by Shoban Bantwal (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) and Revival by Stephen King (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) this weekend. I chose the former to read to satisfy requirements in a few reading challenges, and I've had the King book in my TBR for a while. I want to read it before his book is out. Each are easy to read. I'll have a clearer view of my overall impressions soon. The King story reads like a slow crawl to something horrid.

After these I want to get some more TBR off the shelf and in my hands. Maybe I can sneak a book to the cookie booth.



~

Get Leigh's Ultra-Sexy Monthly Newsletter

* indicates required


View previous campaigns.


No comments: