Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Monday's Muddle Today: What I Have To Say

I don't typically open up about controversial topics, and I have my reasons.

Fear.

So it's really one reason. I fear incurring general wrath, angering the masses, shooting myself in the foot with an ill-timed tweet.

I have long utilized the Count To Ten rule in social blogging and media. I'll write something out that may or may not incite volatile reaction, count to ten, and if I don't think it's a good idea to post I erase it. I do it a lot, mainly because I identify as a peaceful person and I don't like pissing off people.

I find, though, I probably do that anyway and don't realize it. I may do so through the stories I write or the ones I never finished, or through the fact that I stay silent on a lot of things. I suffer through many "damned if you do/n't" moments, and I know one day I won't remain quiet for much longer. I want to stress, though, anything I say here I say as an individual and not as a representative for any publisher or company with whom I'm associated. I would choose optimism first and hope one day we can come together like John Lennon sang, but we've still a long way to go.

At this point in my writing career, I don't think there's anywhere else to go but up. If you choose to no longer read my stories because of my beliefs I can't help that.

This weekend I saw posts where an author of romance admitted she would shoot a transwoman on sight in a ladies' restroom. I find that disturbing. I am cis, and while there are things I don't fully comprehend about trans life I don't condone violence against people who identify as trans.

I've come to know several transwomen in recent years, and they are people who want to live their lives. They have jobs and families. Their "agendas" involve grocery shopping and making sure the DVR is set properly. Nobody should be shot for the clothes they wear or because they have to use the restroom.

I don't like reading about beautiful children taking their lives because they feel they can't be happy. Blake Brockington and Leelah Alcorn are gone and they didn't have to go. It disturbs me that some parents would rather have a dead son instead of a living daughter, so they can comfortably show their faces at Kroger.

I don't like that law in Indiana, either, and I say this as a Christian. I get this impression business owners who don't like same-sex couples think an orgy is going to break out if gay people walk through their doors. No, they just want to buy sandwiches because they're hungry. People want to use the Bible to justify treating poorly the people they don't like. Well, I've read the Bible, too. Cover to cover - the King James version even though I'm not a Protestant.

Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Gospel of Mark, 12:31.

You don't have to agree with your neighbor. Do remember, if you observe a certain faith, that whatsoever you do...

No comments: