Friday, February 6, 2015

TGIF: Time To Read Part VIII - First Contact


So much happening this weekend, online and off. The #LoveSpanks event began today, and the Share the Love Blog hop is on. I'm putting the finishing edits to my next short for the Sexy To Go series. This is an MM erotica story called Arresting Developments. Originally at 5K for a different anthology submission, I've added a thousand words and fleshed out the characters to give them more depth. It's a fun romp, I think, and if you like manlove hot and heavy I hope you enjoy it.

While you're waiting, why not try a book of mine that's ready to read? Truth or Dare was my first published erotic romance, the first in a lengthy series that I will somewhat continue in the summer. You'll meet some characters in the upcoming The Sweetest Dare, and I'll have more information on that soon. I can tell you, it's at 23k now and may go as long as 30k. It's due in April so I need to crack that whip.

~

Reading...it doesn't seem like I've accomplished much this month so far, but I've been pecking away at a number of books. I'm still working through The Marriage Game by Alison Weir (ARe / AMZ /BN / KOBO) and finding it's taking longer than expected. I've read many of Weir's histories and have found them engaging. This fiction, primarily an account of Elizabeth's relationship with Robert Dudley, is slow to progress. Maybe it's because I know the story so well, or other things distract me. I'd like to finish this weekend.

Two recent finishes include a book I've put off for some time. I picked up Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBOfrom the local library swap shelf to prime myself for the new season of the TV show. It was...okay. Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs remain two of my favorite thrillers, and I appreciate having this prequel to round out the Hannibal legend. I had avoided it for some time mainly because mediocre reviews of the movie influenced me. Having read all the books now, I'd put it this third because I didn't enjoy Hannibal as much.

I picked up Magnificent Bastards by Rich Hall (AMZ / BN / KOBO) on sight, while browsing shelves. I was a fan of Hall's Sniglets segments on Not Necessarily the News back in the day; in fact, I have some of those books. This is a collection of odd short stories - Hall reads like kind of a further off the wall Jean Shepherd with tales spun of Southern boys attempting an insurance racket to make money, teenagers utilizing social media to raise havoc, and the imagined aftermath of a Kenny Rogers song. You have to appreciate the twisted sense of humor to enjoy a book like this, and while I consider myself the type I liked some stories better than others.

Let's Go Crazy by Alan Light (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) is the story of Purple Rain, the album and the film. It's been a while since I gave a serious review for my rock book blog, and as much as I loved the album I'm interested in this one. About 30 pages in so far. On the same library trip I found Farewell Dorothy Parker by Ellen Meister (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) which has been on the TBR forever. There's a sequel out this month, so I need to get this one read.

Finally, I received This Heart of Mine by Brenda Novak (AMZ / BN / KOBO). For the most part, I enjoyed the Whiskey Creek series, but the last two books featured subplots that spiraled into unpleasing to me territory. Some readers finishing the ARC have said this book redeems the series, and while I said I probably wouldn't finish I do have the book, so maybe I'll allow for another pitch and overlook my 2-3 strike rule. Books are like magnets to me, put one in my hand and I can't not read it.

So that's my weekend, and on top of this a trip to a comic con. Woo hoo!

No comments: