Friday, January 30, 2015

TGIF: Time To Read Part VII - Generations

I got word that A Taste of Vanilla (ARe / AMZ / BN / AUDIO) has been released to the delight of erotic audiophiles. Well, it's at Audible, and I believe it's the last story of mine in production for the time being. I still have auditions in the queue for other stories, but lately I've been distracted by other things. I will make a point, however, to revisit audio in the near future.

Speaking of, I think the audio rights held by a publisher for a few of my books expires soon. I should look into that. In fact, I'll have a number of decisions to make in the coming months with regards to rights and writing. I still find it difficult to believe I've been at this for more than a decade, and I'm nowhere close to finished.

~

If I can trust my Goodreads tally, I've read 17 books this month. I'd like to squeeze in one more before February, but if I keep up the pace I'll have exceeded my goal for the year. Some books are shorter, yes, but if it has a beginning and end I'm counting it.

This morning I finished The Girls of Mischief Bay by Susan Mallery (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) and I'm sad I did because it was a delightful book. I hated to leave that world of friendship and life-affirmation. I enjoyed this more than Mallery's Fool's Gold books (though I've liked those), and I hope to see more stories like this from her.

This week I also devoured Ghost Love by Nelli Rees (ARe / AMZ / BN), which is a hybrid suspense and "retro-historical" romance, for lack of better terminology. The story weaves between modern day England and 1990s Russia, right when glasnost has taken effect yet the last clutching fingers of Soviet power haven't surrendered. Toni has fallen for an English student named Peter, and the story follows her into a surprise inheritance and conflicts with Peter's family. Also, ghosts. It's a very good story from one of my publishers, a nice change of pace.

Presently I'm reading The Marriage Game by Alison Weir (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO), a novel of Elizabeth I. I've read many of Weir's books, but this is my first fiction of hers. As I've read so much about the Tudors there's nothing here I don't already know, but I like to read different interpretations of the story. Never gets old.

Slowly but surely I try to whittle down my TBR, but I keep adding more books. Wonder what we'll see in the next week.

No comments: