Friday, January 16, 2015

TGIF: Time to Read Part VI - The Undiscovered Country

Lately I've become more dependent on my CVS-bought reading glasses. It may be time for an eye exam to determine if glasses become a permanent fixture in my future. If yes, so be it, as long as I have a way to read. It's not that I don't enjoy audio books, but it's difficult to listen to one unless I am completely alone. Earbuds go in, husband starts talking, and I can't enjoy having a book read to me. Add the jet noise from the nearby base, and it's a wonder I haven't blown my ears out yet.

When I set out to try the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge, I expected to stray from the list I initially set. Some books there don't come out until the summer, and in the meantime I'll read books that qualify for various categories. It doesn't mean I won't read the books chosen first, just that I'll be reading more than anticipated. Case in point, I had wanted to read Brown Girl Dreaming as my YA choice, but I couldn't wait and finished it before January, when the challenge began. Not to worry, R.J. Palacio's Wonder (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) happened to come up for sale on Kindle and I grabbed it. I'd only heard good things about the book and I wasn't disappointed by readability and story. Yeah, you could argue it's more an MG than a YA, but the market is younger readers so I'm counting it. I'm sure I'll have read another YA by year's end.

I finished Sherryl Woods's Dogwood Hill (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO)  and enjoyed it. It's a sweeter romance than others I've read of late, and as I haven't read the other eleven books in the series I can't speak for heat levels on others. I'm on the fence over whether or not to backtrack. Eleven books is asking a bit, especially when my TBR is already sliding to the floor. I may seek out one or two as the synopses grab me.

I'll give Woods credit, I didn't feel lost going into a series this far. It's not written as a serial where you're expected to remember past events and character quirks. On a similar train of thought, I'm reluctant to look into Marissa Meyer's Cress though I loved the first two books in her Lunar Chronicles, mainly because I fear running into trouble following the story. Of course, this could me unfounded worry. I may start Cress and have things come back to me. Anyway...


Also on my Book Riot list is "book published originally in another language." My original choice is not yet available in the US on Kindle, so I moved my original choice for "book written by author under 25" to this slot. Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen (AMZ / BN) is short and I expect to finish it this weekend.

After this I'm prepping for another box set release, but more on that Monday.

No comments: