Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday Muddle: Tick-Tock

I have a few weeks to complete a short piece for the upcoming Love Spanks event. I'll be honest, I haven't started yet. Typically when I volunteer for things like this I get things done ASAP so I don't have to worry. Lately, though, my head's a mess. Today everybody finally goes back to school/work after a lengthy holiday, and I'm hoping the fog lifts soon. I haven't written anything beyond blog posts and book reviews in the last month.

It's not unusual for me to go on a writing hiatus - sometimes I do it after I've finished a long work. This time, though, the inner demons have tempted me to go longer. It's not that I don't have any ideas, I have plenty. I'm compelled, though, to want to write them all at once. You can imagine what happens - you get confused and frustrated, and you find it's easier to not write at all. I fear often that will happen to me, that I'll lose the joy of writing. However, the pain that comes from not writing overwhelms me, too.

If this doesn't make sense, sorry about that. It's not my nature to come off like a whiner. I'm just tired, but I don't worry. I'll get the Love Spanks piece done - it isn't supposed to be more than a few thousand words. I don't want to recycle something from a current or abandoned WIP, either. I need to write original to stay fresh. I'll do this while I await news of a submission sent to Coming Together. I've decided if it doesn't make the cut, I'll write a follow-up to the story and self-pub both together. I've also found a call for F/F erotica for another anthology, so I'm cooking up ideas for that as well.

Onto reading now.

I squealed when I saw A Touch of Stardust by Kate Alcott (ARE / AMZ / BN / KOBO) on NetGalley, louder so when I got cleared to read it. This is from the review on my real-name account at GR:

Stardust doesn't focus on just one conflict, and anybody up on their GWTW history knows the making of the film alone could fill many books. Author Kate Alcott balances the tensions behind filming the American Civil War with the looming war in Europe, which filmmakers are discouraged from touching. As Carole's assistant, Julie deals with scandalous Gable/Lombard publicity while diving headfirst into a relationship with an older, Jewish man determined to do his part for the cause.

Each of the stories (the movie, the relationships, the struggle to work in film) overlap and fit like a secure braid. I enjoyed Stardust, especially when Carole Lombard had control. If you're a fan, you'll enjoy the story. If you've not heard of her, Stardust may make you a fan.

As part of the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge, I chose Fun Home by Alison Bechdel (AMZ / BN) as my graphic novel. Finished it last night. You might know Alison's name from the Bechdel Test of movies. Home is a graphic novel memoir, specifically about Bechdel's relationship with her father. I liked it, but as I'd read her strip Dykes to Watch Out For for years I find I enjoyed her fiction comics more.

I'm down to three books in the NetGalley queue, and after that I'll concentrate on some books I purchased over the holiday. With the house back in my possession, though, it's time to write again.


No comments: