Monday, December 22, 2014

Monday Muddle: Merry Christmas

I don't expect to get anything done this week. Christmas Week is always nutty, and never peaceful. Everybody's off school/work, and the house population doubles with relatives. It's cold as hell and football 24/7. I can't retreat into another room without people muttering, "Why is she in there?" I love my family, but I love peace and quiet and I don't expect it this week.

Also, the annual cold. I'm spitting up more slime than you'd see in the first Ghostbusters film. I still have a few days of work ahead of me, but I intend to take Christmas Day off to read and maybe reflect on the year. The in-laws are a dry household, so that's about as zany as it gets around here.

All in all, not a bad year: inclusion in three box sets and two Spank anthologies, two Coming Together anthologies, and three original stories released. No novel length works, but I'd like to change that in 2015. The goals include a set of novella (which will be written in advance before they are submitted) and one book. I'll pick an idea out of the hat and get to work.

As for reading, I picked up an ARC of The Tudor Bride (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) by Joanna Hickson. It is second in a series, but appears to stand alone. It is a fictionalized account of the life of Catherine of Valois, wife of Henry V, so we're talking the beginning of what becomes the Tudor empire. I haven't read a Henry V fiction beyond the play, so I keep picturing Branagh and Thompson while I'm reading this. It's pretty good so far - I'm about a fifth of the way in, and since Henry V's reign wasn't very long it will be interesting to see how the rest of the story unfolds.

One disadvantage to having studied English history is that you are somewhat spoiled, because you know the outcome. I guess that's why I liked the alternate history of Laura Andersen's Boleyn King trilogy. Still I remain fixated on Tudor era fiction, if only to enjoy different authors' interpretations of the legends and history.

I had pledged to read Brown Girl Dreaming (ARe / AMZ / BN / KOBO) as part of a 2015 reading challenge, but I got the book early and am already half finished. I'm enjoying it very much - it's a patient and vivid read. I do admire authors who can evoke bright imagery with few words. I'm a believer in economy when it comes to writing. I don't always practice it, though...

Back to Dreaming - it's a life story told in a series of freestyle verse about a young black girl coming of age in the 1960s - in the south and in New York City. If I can get some quiet this week I hope to finish.

After this...well, I packed a bunch of Harlequin paperbacks. Might choose one from random.


No comments: