Friday, November 14, 2014

TGIF: Time to Read

I would work twenty-four hours a day if I didn't have access to a clock. The inbox is always full and the task list never dwindles. I cross off one job, I add two more. That's how it goes here. I'll be buried sitting upright with my fingers on ASDFJKL;

I'm getting better, though. I purposely take Saturdays off. Call it a Sabbath, lost time, whatev. I do nothing work-related on that day unless something is on fire. Saturdays I mostly read. I don't know if I read like other people - I'll have several books open at a time, and I grab the one that entices me the most. Right now I have a few open, one closed, and many many more in the queue.

On Fridays, I'll share what's on the virtual nightstand. Some may get more detailed reviews here as I go on.

Just Finished

Perfidia by James Ellroy: (from my real-name Goodreads review) I have so few auto-buy authors these days. I used to have many, but one by one I drop them when the stories turn predictable and the writing stale. One actually died, but anyway...

Ellroy is heavy reading, and his dirty staccato style is what makes the scenery come alive. If you've glommed the rest of his catalog you know several players here - Perfidia is a prequel of sorts to his other series. It begins just before the attack on Pearl Harbor with the murder of a Japanese family in LA. Throughout the investigation the story peels away layers to reveal corruption within the police force, sympathies for opposing forces, and a lot of bad language. Ellroy doesn't write rainbows and unicorns.

The only problem I have with Ellroy's books is I have to go back and read the others again to jar my memory. One day I'll sit and have a good binge.

AMZ ~ ARE ~ BN

Now Reading




Star Wars: Tarkin by James Luceno - I went to grade school and college with a guy who digs Star Wars. He's in a cosplay group and for a time he used a screen name derived from Tarkin. He's only in the first (fourth?) film, but I always wondered about him. Did he have a family, a lady on another planet? Peter Cushing made him so sinister, and when I saw this book I grabbed it - though I haven't read tie-ins in a while. So far it's quite interesting - it goes back and forth between Tarkin's youth and his time before boarding the Death Star.

AMZ ~ ARE ~ BN

Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood by William J. Mann - I love the old Hollywood stories, really got into that Hollywood Babylon stuff and studio-squelched scandals. The stuff Perez blogs can't hold a candle to it. Tinseltown goes way back to early talkie era with a history of one of the biggest murder mysteries of the day. It's rather dry with the exposition so far, but hoping it picks up.

AMZ ~ ARE ~ BN

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King - I break up with Stephen King more often than Taylor Swift breaks up with anybody. I came back after a friend recommended 11/22/63 and stayed through Doctor Sleep, so I put this on hold at the library. More mystery than mysterious paranormal, Mercedes is reading like a dual character study - retired cop with something to prove versus bored spawn of Satan. It's moving slowly but I'm only a fifth of the way in.

AMZ ~ ARE ~ BN

On the Radar

Little bit of everything:

  • Unfaded Glory by Sara Arden
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay by Susan Mallery
  • Normal by Graeme Cameron
  • The Immortals by Michael Korda (Sideboob TBR)
  • Children of Dune by Frank Herbert
While I'm waiting, I have to finish a short for an anthology call, then begin another anthology call, then check up on a few box set invites. Busy busy.



No comments: