Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Summer of Love: Rollin'

See: The Original List.
The first progress report.
The second progress report.

I'm seeing more red than white on my bucket list, but I still have a ways to go to get everything done. Two of the last four items will require some travel, and I have a feeling both will wait until early September before the official First Day of Autumn. Camping I could do locally, either at the KOA or my backyard, but more than likely we'll head up north before school starts. The crochet I plan on starting once I've finished looming all the coffee cozies I'm making for Authors After Dark. I have about 45 left to go for my promo packs. Next time I agree to a big sponsorship I'll take care of the knitting well in advance. Ouch!

Anyway, I have this pair of roller skates that I got a few years ago for my birthday. I was inspired to take up skating after many years, and a friend gave me these derby skates. Well, they went under the bed and didn't come out until this weekend. I figured I'd slip them on and go rolling down the boardwalk like Olivia Newton-John in Xanadu. Didn't quite work out that way. For one, I had to choose the hottest damn day of the week - 94 degrees in the shade and sweat down my crack. Also, derby skates aren't like the kind you rent at the rink. These are heavy and the wheels are thick. And my feet hurt with them on.

It's not because they're too tight. I guess it's because I'm not a teenager anymore and therefore bring more weight down on my feet, which are trying to balance atop the wheels. I pushed forward and my feet are bracing so I don't fall on my ass or skin my knees. Nonetheless, I was determined to get some skating done.

On the boardwalk, I got about three blocks in, mostly wobbling from seat bench to light pole to seat bench, before I finally gave in and put my sandals back on. Had to walk all the way home toting the skates, but three blocks is better than doing nothing, so to me it counts. I bought a Groupon for a skating session at a regular rink, so I think I'll use their skates to get back into the groove before trying these on again.

This Sunday I took my trip to the Eastern Shore. As I mentioned in my first post, the Eastern Shore is basically the route I take to get somewhere else. I never stop when I have a trip to Philly or NYC planned, because I just want to get the 6-8 hour drive done. Well, having the day to myself I drove up to Cape Charles and Eastville to have a look around. If you don't kayak, sail, or enjoy sitting on a beach for hours on end, you can see both pretty much in about an hour combined. I liked Cape Charles, though. There are some nice looking shops and restaurants and a great view of the Bay.

While I was in Cape Charles I found a letterbox near the beach to add to my growing collection. I don't plan to hunt without the little on in tow, but as I don't know when I'm heading back I figure might as well get the stamp. It's a $20 round-trip toll to the Eastern Shore, so that was my biggest expense. There are many beautiful homes for sale in the area - big porches and windows facing the sea.

Before heading back I looked up a nature trail near the coast and took a quick hike. I found some wild blackberry bushes along the way. Of course the best ones were too far to reach, unless I wanted to come out spotted with thorn marks. Still, it was a nice diversion and I got to mark off one more item on the to do list.

Now, too, is a good time to call the Doctor Who Binge. There's no way I'll get to see every episode this summer, but I'm about fifty half-hour shows in so far, and that's a good enough number for a binge. I'm still on the First Doctor eps, and truthfully I'll miss this crew when they're gone. The props and production values seem primitive compared to recent shows, but the stories are solid.

Next up: Need to find a campground, either near the horses or an AT trail.

No comments: