Monday, June 16, 2014

Romance (Novels) in Sicily

I don't travel internationally as much as I'd like. So far I've been off the Lower 48 less than a dozen times: twice to Canada, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Mexico, England, Germany, Sicily. The Germany trip a few years ago marked the start of a new tradition - now when I go overseas I look for a bookstore at my destination and buy a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Don't ask me why I settled on that particular book. I suppose when I was in Baden Baden I liked the cover of the German edition. A book thing is born.

Last week I went to Sicily for a few days to meet up with my parents after their guided tour. They opted to stay on so Mom could visit her grandfather's birthplace and maybe fill in some family tree holes. On the last day I found a few bookstores in hopes of learning which romance authors the locals read. The first one looked like an independent store which carried more Italian authors, though I spotted a few Stephen Kings and the latter two Fifty Shades books. Funny thing, everywhere I saw Fifty Shades Darker and Freed, I noticed nobody had the first book. Has it sold completely out in Sicily?

The last store I visited looked like a chain: La Feltrinelli. It resembled a Borders with music and video sections, and shelves of bestsellers and other titles by genre. There I found a number of popular titles. It's always fun to see foreign versions of books I have read:

The Hunger Games are shiny.

I found Harry and picked up an Italian Diary of a Wimpy Kid for the little one. She got a kick out of it. As far as the romance section, I saw lots of Nicholas Sparks and Danielle Steel. Oh, and this familiar name:

Seven Years to Sin en Italia

No shades of grey in this store, though. However, when I left and checked out a book kiosk by the park, I found all the paperbacks:

Harlequins Aplenty
Courtney Milan, Susan Wiggs, Nora Roberts, and more. I'm guessing the newsstands are where you want to go for your series romance fix.

Sicily is gorgeous, especially the coast. I wish I had more time to spend there. Definitely something to consider for a return trip.



No comments: