Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Cookie List

This close to Christmas, I usually have my baking gear scattered throughout the kitchen. I believe this year I have baked more than in the past: so far I have done cutout sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal scotchies. I still have the gingerbread cutouts and snickerdoodles left, and with the last one I'm trying to decide how to go about it.

I bought a bag of caramels because I wanted to experiment with a Pinterest recipe or two. I know what you're thinking - all the glorious pretties on Pinterest look wonderful in theory, and you'd think they were simple enough to try. Then you follow the instructions to the letter and you're left with a graying hot mess that looks nothing like what's on the Internet. I will read the Pintrosity site on occasion and laugh myself silly, then think of all the fails I created and then I come back to Earth. Nonetheless, I'd like to do something special for Christmas.

I would love to make caramel-filled treats. Pinterest has a few suggestions on filled snickerdoodles. I have the option of using regular cookie mix, prepared according to package, then molding the dough around a caramel. Roll the ball in sugar and cinnamon, then bake. Or, I could use Pillsbury crescent dough cut into two inch square, roll into balls then into the sugar/cinnamon mix and bake for about 7-10 minutes. I can't imagine, though, that the second recipe has that cookie texture that I'd prefer. On the other hand, it's probably more likely to keep the caramel contained.

Do you make filled cookies? Do you have a secret or two to prevent leakage?

No comments: