Sunday, December 8, 2013

Queer Town Abbey Christmas Blog Hop with Leigh!

Comment below to win a $10 gift card to Amazon, B&N, or AllRomance from Leigh, and add to your Christmas reading list! Scroll down for the QTA Rafflecopter, too.

Happy holidays! I am pleased to be a part of the Queer Town Abbey Christmas Hop. QTA and author KT Grant were kind to help promote Coming Together: Girl on Girl, and I wish them great success. Since we're here to talk about Christmas, I would like to divulge one of my favorite Christmas traditions, and perhaps it's one of yours as well.

I love this time of year because you can turn on a television and find any of my favorite holiday movies. I like the tearjerkers fine, but I want to remain positive in the cold weather, so when Clark Grizzwold is stringing up the lights and stapling his pants to the roof, or when Will Ferrell is wandering around Manhattan in an elf costume, I'm there. My all-time favorite, though, is A Christmas Story - not necessarily because it's the funniest Christmas movie ever. I've actually lived this movie (well, not the sticking my tongue to the frozen pole part).

One year, when I lived in Williamsburg, Virginia, my parents and sister decided to come and visit. Having lived in Florida for decades, they wanted a white Christmas, and got more than they bargained for. That year a horrible winter storm blew through town, knocking out our power for days. We had no heat, no electricity, and therefore couldn't cook, so no turkey dinner. It got so bad that we had to burn newspaper on the barbecue grill in the garage - it's a small miracle that we didn't get sick from smoke poisoning.

Come Christmas Day, after our numb fingers unwrapped gifts, we ventured out for something to eat. The only restaurant open that day was the Chinese buffet - very reminiscent of the dinner scene in the movie. The next year, we stayed in Florida. Sure enough, TNT aired A Christmas Story and when it got to the Chinese restaurant scene we were able to appreciate it on a whole new level.

This year, it's Christmas with the in-laws in the mountains, and they have a generator in case the power goes out.

~

One thing I love about Christmas: cookies! I do most of my baking in December, and I always make Oatmeal Scotchies. I use the Nestle recipe which is on their website, but sometimes I add a cup of chopped walnuts to the mix. What's your favorite Christmas cookie? Comment below and enter to win a gift card.

~






~
a Rafflecopter giveaway

14 comments:

sarah-madison said...

Oooh, Oatmeal Scotchies are one of my all time favorites! Now you have me wanting to make some and I'm iced in at the house at the moment.

Christmas Dinner at the Chinese restaurant--wow, that brings back similar memories too! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love making really intense chocolate truffle cookies and oatmeal cookies! Shortbread cookies with pieces of candied ginger inside are fun, too!

vitajex(At)aol(Dot)com

nancy said...

My favorite Christmas cookie is pfeffernusse. They get better if they have time to mellow a bit but I have to hide them for this to happen.

Peaches said...

I've never had Oatmeal Scotchies before! My favorite is Snickerdoodles followed very closely by my grandparents' Christmas sugar cookies. Yum!

bn100 said...

chocolate chip cookies

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Dovile said...

My favorite kind is ginger cookies.

Thank you for the chance!

spamscape [at] gmail [dot] com

ShirleyAnn said...

My cookie is not a cookie but short bread it's a must at Christmas.

ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

Sophia Rose said...

Oh, what a memorable Christmas you all had freezing together. LOL! We all enjoy Christmas Vacation because some of the stuff in there reminds us of family stuff.
Thanks for sharing your favorite cookie recipe. I've had my biggest cookie baking successes from just making a recipe on the package.

thanks for the giveaway opportunity.
sophiarose1816 at gmail dot com

Leigh Ellwood said...

Christmas Vacation is a favorite movie here, too. DH loves Clark Grizzwold.

I'm going to attempt filled Snickerdoodles this year. just bought the caramels.

amy bowens said...

My family and I love National Lampoons Christmas Vacation! Sometimes I feel like my family is the Griswalds LOL!My favorite cookies are Sugar cookies decorated with all the sprinkles!thanks and have a merry Christmas!

Emily said...

LOL, love the story, sounds great!

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

Shadow said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing! I love Christmas Vacation! Its a must watch every year! Love A Christmas Story too! lol I love those cookies too! My favorite cookies are the sugar ones. Yummy! Thank you! Happy Holidays!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Lee Todd said...

shortbread for Christmas...yummm

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh,

I want to send a personal thank you for your participation in the xmas blog hop 2013. Thanks to you the Christmas Blog Hop was a great success.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you, your family and friends a very happy holiday and joyful New Year 2014

All the best,

Anders
Founder/Administrations Manager
Queer Town Abbey