Sunday, November 10, 2013

How to Mentally Spend $200 in a Bookstore

First things first: if you can, please make a donation to the Red Cross to help victims of the typhoon in the Philippines. You can also buy a copy of Coming Together Hurricane Relief Edition, which benefits the RC. I'm not in that one, but I've read it and recommend it. Every bit helps in these situations.

I went to the bookstore last night to have a look around. November is great time for publishing because all the Christmas gift books are ready, and all I have to do is stroll the shelves and spend money in my mind. I likely won't get all the books I ask for this year, but I have a library card and some ARe credit left, so I'll be fine this holiday. Just a few titles I'm looking forward to reading include:

  • Eminent Hipsters by Donald Fagen (big Steely Dan fan here)
  • Robert Plant by Paul Rees (my husband knew a guy who knew Robert Plant; that guy had some interesting stories)
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells by Sebastian Faulks (I love the original Jeeves stories. I'm not a fan of these "sequel" books done by other authors, but I'll give this a shot.)
  • Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn (Zahn is my favorite SW tie-in author. Haven't read a SW book in ages, but I hear this is like Oceans 11 with Wookies. Can't ignore that.)
  • In Bed With Gore Vidal by Tim Teeman (My writing professor knew Gore Vidal. Now he had some stories.)
  • Johnny Carson by Henry Bushkin (I hear this haz gossip.)
I'm also reading down my ARe library, will hopefully make a dent over Christmas vacation. What are you reading?



No comments: