Sunday, September 22, 2013

TBR Reading Challenge: The Sideboob Hour

Don't ask me to explain how my train of thought works. Sometimes I believe I've been gifted with a curiosity for unnecessary trivia. I may spend an evening working on a story, or checking Facebook, and suddenly I'll wonder whatever happened to some semi-obscure sitcom actor (let's say Henry Polic II...aw, just checked Wikipedia and he died last month). Once on Wikipedia I end up sucked into the site and I'm looking up all sort of crap.

I'll hope you'll forgive me for not being able to explain how I came to look up Deceptions, which was a miniseries in the mid-1980s starring Stephanie Powers in a dual role as twins who switch places for a week for grins. One is married and dowdy, the other single and glamorous, and there are sexy results and murder and I won't spoil it for you. I recall watching it in junior high and was riveted - the late 70s and 80s were ripe with TV movies of the week and miniseries based on hot-selling novels, many of them romance. You don't see that anymore on network television; these days you have to check Lifetime and Hallmark for the adaptations, but I find I miss them because there's too much competition, and I don't check listings regularly to see what's on.

Yes, I'm digressing again. Sorry.

I may have seen in the mid-1980s that Deceptions was based on a novel by Judith Michael, but 30 years of living the good life helped me forget that. What I didn't realize until this weekend was that Michael wrote a sequel to the book. I confess, I am a sequel ho. I may get into a series and burn out eventually, but at the very least I always check out the second book, even if I didn't like the first much. It's my two-strike rule, and if I see improvement I'll move forward. This weekend I visited a used bookstore and managed to score both Deceptions and A Tangled Web, both of which I plan to put away on a long plane ride.

This got me thinking, though, about all the racy bestsellers of the 70s and 80s I missed by virtue of youth. My mother was seriously into Robin Cook medical thrillers when I was young, so there were no books with sexy covers lying around the house. When I'd visit my aunt in Kentucky I'd find shopping bags full of Silhouettes and Harlequins, but nary an opportunity to grab one. I have set so many reading goals for this decade...what's one more?

Therefore, I'm setting up a personal TBR challenge, nicknamed The Sideboob List. It's called such after a scene in "Family Guy" where Peters hosts a TV show called "The Sideboob Hour," which showcases all the partial nudity of 70s-80s TV. I'm sure the miniseries and TV movies made from some of these books would have qualified for such a program.

This list contains sexy, raunchy old school books of the 70s and 80s - not all are romances, but all are certainly indulgences. So far, I've decided upon the following books, none of which I have read:
If you're game, you're welcome to ride along. You can follow along on my Old School Challenge shelf at Goodreads, and I'll set one up at Booklikes once the import of all my books is completed.

No comments: