Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What I'm Reading This Week

So I set a goal of 125 books to read this year, and I am about 40 books in. I'm fortunate in that my new job I'm encouraged to read, since I give input on book recommendations for the newsletters. How could you not love a job where reading plays a part?

I tend to read more than one book in a period of time, and here's what I picked up for the week:

Stranded With the Billionaire by Jessica Clare: The title pretty much states the premise. A waitress/winner of a radio prize is stuck on a tropical island during a hurricane. The billionaire in question has just purchased the resort where she's staying. I'm a few chapters in so far, and have read through a comedy of errors and mistaken identity. Curious to see where the story goes after the storm.

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson: This year's Pulitzer winner for fiction. I've made it a goal to read all of the fiction winners, and I have to say I'm enjoying this one more than others. It's about a young North Korean who's worked various "odd jobs" to keep out of the camps. It's gritty and dark, but compelling.

Roseannarchy by Roseanne Barr: I've been catching up on Roseanne reruns, and it's interesting to see how a show from 20 years ago remains relevant today. We'll always have economic and familial struggles, and that's why this show has aged better than others. This book is a collection of essays - I'm early in, so it's been mostly about her early years. Hope to get into entertainment industry criticism soon.

Though I have a Goodreads account as Leigh, I use the profile under my real name more. You're welcome to friend me there and see what else I'm reading.

No comments: