Friday, May 24, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend Reading

I'd like to wish our veterans a blessed Memorial Day and my heartfelt thanks for your service to our country. If you have a veteran in the family now departed, in service or otherwise, I'm forever grateful for their service and sacrifices. I have many military relatives, retired and active duty, and am always in awe of the work they do.

This weekend, I hope to catch up on my reading. I recently finished Greg Kihn's Rubber Soul, a novel set during the early years of the Beatles - you can read my review at Books That Rock Us. You could say I'm an amateur Beatleologist - I've read so many books, fiction and non-fiction, about the fabs. With each new Lennon bio, there's always something new to discover. You'd think, for a man who lived only forty years, there couldn't be much more to say. You'd be surprised.

Right now, I'm in the middle of The Boleyn King by Laura Andersen. This is an alternative history story, speculating on the reign of the son of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. Over the decades, I have read so many books on the British monarchy, and for some reason I've read more about the Tudors than anybody else. I couldn't tell you what it is about that particular dynasty that attracts me - when you look at the scope of British history it's not a long era. Only five monarchs ruled in this time, though it was probably one of the more turbulent times for the country. Some might suggest my interest is related to a possible past life in the Tudor era...I'm not sure about that, but I suppose anything is possible.

Once I finish Boleyn I still have It Had To Be You by Jill Shalvis to read, and a few Donna Kauffman books. I'm working to get back on track with my Goodreads pledge of 125 books this year. What are you reading?

4 comments:

Scott said...

I've always been fond of the Plantagenets. I generally prefer Middle Ages over Renaissance anyway though, so it's not surprising. Currently reading all the Agent Pendergast books by Lincoln & Child.

Scott said...

That should have read "Preston & Child."

Kat L. said...

If you haven't already, you should try some of Jean Plaidy's novels. She wrote a novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine that I enjoyed.

Scott said...

Thanks, I'll look her up. I loved Sharon Kay Penman's series about Henry and Eleanor.