Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Frugal Writer on Double Coupon Days and the Drugstore

Today is the last day of Harris Teeter's Super Double Coupon sale, and while I didn't shop there today I still managed to save a few bucks elsewhere. Over the last few days, though, I came away with what I thought were good deals. I've saved the receipts of my last four trips out to share.

As I attempt to save money on groceries and other items, I have learned a few things (many from coupon advice sites). For one, it isn't necessary to get all your shopping done in one trip. Convenient in a way, but as I drive past a number of stores on the way to school drop-off and pick-up, I can spare a few minutes here and there if I know I'll save significantly. Also, I'm trying to be more aware of acceptable coupon stacking, especially at drugstores. Today I did well with that.

Lastly, over these trips I bought items for which I had a coupon, and nothing else. It's easy to be tempted by impulse items, but I'm training myself not to get carried away anymore.

Anyway, here's a survey of my last four trips out. As a writer working from home, it's important now more than ever to watch every dollar coming and going.

1/4/13

  • Smucker's Raspberry Preserves - Originally $3.39, minus $.89 card savings, minus $.55 x2 coupon. I paid $1.40.
  • Uncle Ben's 2-pack rice cups - Originally $3.10, minus $1.00 x2 coupon. I paid $1.10.
  • 2 packs Starfish Tuna, herb and garlic flavor - Originally $5.18 for 2, minus $2.68 card savings, minus $.55 x2 coupon. I paid $1.40, so $.70 each
  • Nectresse Sweetener - Originally $4.29, minus $.80 card savings, minus $1.50 x2 coupon. I paid $.49
Total w/o discounts: $15.96
HT VIC Card Savings: $4.37
Coupon Savings: $6.20
The total comes out to $5.39, but I ended up paying only $4.59 for everything. Well, I'm a writer, not a mathematician. 

1/6/13
  • 2 boxes Hefty sandwich bags - Originally $5.98, minus $1.50 x2 coupon. I paid $2.98, or $1.49 each.
  • 1 bottle Beano digestives - Originally $5.69, minus $2 x2 coupon. I paid $1.69.
  • 1 Good and Natural granola bar. Originally $1.25, had a free coupon. HT actually doubled this and took twice the value of the bar ($1.25 x2) off the bill. 
  • 2 Protein Bars - Originally $3.38 for both, minus $.88 card savings, minus $1 x2 coupon. I paid $.50, or $.25 each.
  • 2 boxes Finish dishwater gel packs. These were BOGO. Originally $11.58 for two, minus $5.79, minus $2.15 coupon. I paid $3.64, or $1.82 each.
Total w/o discounts: $27.88
HT VIC Card Savings: $6.67
Coupon savings: $13.65

With taxes, I paid $8.24 total for everything.

Today at CVS: Ricola cough drops were 2 for $3.00. I printed a special CVS $1 coupon and used a $1 coupon from the Sunday paper. The two bags then totaled $1, so I only paid $.50 per bag.

Today at Rite-Aid: The weekly circular had a $2 off coupon on Mitchum deodorant. I bought one originally priced at $4.29 and used the $2 store coupon and an additional $1 Sunday paper coupon. Total: $1.29.

Rite-Aid also had Viactiv calcium supplements on sale for 40% off. Originally $9.96, sale price $5.81 plus a $1.50 coupon. Total: $4.31.

I don't use some of these products regularly, so we'll see if they are worth another buy in the future.

No comments: