Official blog of Romance Author Leigh Ellwood

Leigh writes adult books! Erotic romance, M/M erotic romance, and F/F erotica. SEE LEIGH'S FULL BOOK LIST.
E-Mail kspatwriter (at) yahoo (dot) com ~ Follow Twitter @LeighEllwood


Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Frugal Writer Goes Shopping

As part of my resolution to not pay full price for groceries if I can help it, I took advantage of Harris Teeter's Super Double Coupons sale. I did pretty well this round, saving over 50% on the bill. Some of the highlights:


  • 1 bag of Hershey's Simple Pleasures - originally $3.99.
    A writer has to have chocolate! HT was having a sale on these for 2 for $6.00, but I got one bag for $3.00. Used a $1.50 coupon that doubled and got these for FREE!
  • 2 bars of Toblerone - originally $2.59.
    Hey, chocolate keeps well. Anyway, these were discounted to $2.29 each, and I had a coupon for $1.00 off 2 bars. So that was $2.00, making each bar $1.29 each.
  • 2 stacks of Ziploc containers - originally $3.89
    These were special holiday containers - not the clear kind, but colored red and green for Christmas giving. These were discounted to $1.97 each, and I had a $1 off coupon if I bought two. So essentially these were buy one, get one free for me for $1.97, or about 98 cents each!
  • Hormel Meatloaf microwavable lunch - originally $2.57
    I like to keep these around for lunch when I'm alone. This was discounted to $1.97, and I had a $1 off coupon, making this free as well.
Later today at Target, I scored a pouch of Betty Crocker Gingerbread cookie mix on clearance. Cost was 62 cents, and a 40 cent coupon for cookie mix brought it down to 22 cents! Nothing keeps a writer happy like cheap chocolate and cookies!

Since I'll be working at home more, I'll need to be more frugal and save my money for RT and other cons I have happening this year. Clip those coupons while you can - they do work!

No comments: