Monday, April 2, 2012

Interview - Lucy Felthouse

Me Want Food welcomes Lucy Felthouse to the blog! 


Thanks for stopping to chat! Please tell us a bit about your latest release, or what's coming up. 

My latest release is a lesbian erotic romance short story, called The Cottage in the Woods. It's published by Resplendence Publishing, and is currently doing really well in the paid lesbian chart on All Romance eBooks!

Here's the blurb:

Living in her remote cottage in the woods, Heidi doesn’t get many visitors. So when she spots a fox in her garden, she’s delighted. However, her joy quickly turns to dismay when she thinks the beautiful creature may be injured. Heading out to see how she can help, Heidi is astounded when something happens that makes her question her eyesight – not to mention her sanity. Once she gets over her shock and discovers the reason behind the peculiar encounter, Heidi is mighty glad that the fox chose her garden to visit.

More info, excerpt & buy links here: http://lucyfelthouse.co.uk/published-works/the-cottage-in-the-woods/

What is a day in your writing life like? Do you have a set schedule?
My time is split between running my business, Writer Marketing Services (http://www.writermarketing.co.uk) and writing (http://lucyfelthouse.co.uk). No two days are the same – if I'm busy on a project, then I don't get any writing done. But then if I have quiet periods, I use the time to write, so there's never a moment where I don't have anything to do. I definitely don't have a set schedule, it all depends on what work I have on for various clients, and if I have any pressing deadlines for my writing. It can be a challenge to make sure everything's done and everyone is happy – but I manage!

Do you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser? Or maybe both?
I would say a bit of both. I started out as a short story writer, and I'm gradually writing longer and longer pieces of work, as well as still writing shorts. If I'm writing a short story, I would say I'm definitely a pantser. I just have an idea in mind and go with it. But that doesn't always work with novellas and longer – it's easy to lose track of what's happening, or you find you're running out of things to say. So with my longer works, I find a very vague chapter by chapter outline helps. Sometimes I don't stick to it exactly, but as long as I have all the elements in that I planned, then I know my story is going to work out how I want it.

Do you prefer to write one specific genre, or are you a bit all over the map? What is your favorite genre to write and why?

I am definitely all over the map. In terms of who's doing who, I've written m/f, f/f and ménage. I have a couple of m/m WIPs too. Within those pairings (or more-ings – just made up a word there) I've written contemporary, paranormal, fem-dom, BDSM and more. I don't stick to one fixed genre, because my ideas are in different genres. I never used to like writing BDSM stuff at all, but I'm finding that I'm enjoying it more and more, and that it seems to do really well, which helps spur me on.

In terms of a favourite genre, I don't really have one. Unless I'm writing for a specific call for submissions, I just write the ideas that come into my head, and they don't seem to follow any kind of pattern. I just love to write – and if people enjoy what I'm writing, then that's awesome!

Of your backlist/WIPs, which would you say was the easiest to write? The most challenging? Why?


I've written quite a lot of stories, so I don't remember many of the older ones or how easy/challenging they were to write. But a more recent story springs to mind. A story I wrote, called Little Miss Goody Two Shoes (which will be published in Girl Fever: 69 Stories of Sudden Sex for Lesbians in June) literally flew out of my mind and onto the page in less than an hour. Granted, it's only a very, very short story, which is what the call for submissions required, but I was actually about to throw away the printout with the call for submissions on it because I didn't think I'd have time to do anything before the closing date – and then the idea struck. A little while later and the story was sent – and accepted. I suspect the story was easy to write in part because of its length, and in part because the setting is a real place so I didn't have to think about it. It was just a case of getting the characters into position to do their thing ;)

The most challenging thing I've written to date is my first novella, Off the Shelf, which is due in April as part of Xcite Books' The Secret Library range. I found it challenging because it was the longest thing I'd written, and it was specially commissioned too – which meant I had to do it! I was worried about keeping the momentum going, keeping it interesting, getting the balance right between plot and sex... it was a scary few weeks! But luckily, my editor loved it and after a few small tweaks it was accepted. I can't wait to see what people think of it!

Do you have any social media profiles/pages where readers can follow you?
Yes. I'm quite the social media addict.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cw1985

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lucyfelthousewriter

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/cw1985

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cw1985

Do you have a blog/Yahoo group for readers to stay updated on your works?
My blog is part of my website, http://lucyfelthouse.co.uk. And I don't have a Yahoo group, but I do have a newsletter, and every month I give exclusive discounts or freebies, and run giveaways: http://eepurl.com/gMQb9

Desert Island quiz: you can only bring one album, one DVD set for your favorite TV show, and one movie. What are they?

What's an album?! ;) I'm bringing my iPod! The DVD box set would be season four of Supernatural and the movie would be Bridget Jones' Diary.

What was the last book that you read? What did you think? 
Platinum Passion by Jennifer Lynne. I thought it was great, and I reviewed it here.

Do you have a favorite charity? How does it appeal to you?

There are several charities that I like to support, including Cancer Research UK, Marie Curie Cancer Care, The British Heart Foundation and Help for Heroes. Why? Because I've lost friends and relatives to cancer and heart problems, and as for Help for Heroes – well, those brave guys and girls give up everything for us – so it's the least we can do to help them. I believe so strongly that part of the proceeds for my anthology, Uniform Behaviour, goes to Help for Heroes.

2 comments:

Jeanne Guzman said...

Great post. Another book to add to my TBR file.

Lucy Felthouse said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jeanne! I'm glad you liked the post :)