Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Top Reads of 2011

Seeing as how the 2011 Top Read lists are popping up around the blogosphere, I have decided to offer one of my own. This year, I set a goal to read 60 books, and have succeeded in that goal. In looking at the books I've read this year, it appears not many were published in 2011. There are a few late 2010s, yes, and I know some bloggers will include those, but I would prefer to reveal a true 2011 Best Reads.

I should warn you, it's rare that a book will make me go ZOMGWTFBBQFDIC mustmakebabieswithit. It didn't really happen this year, but there are a few books below I would recommend. I tend to read a lot of non-fiction, which is why the short list is NF heavy.

Good Rockin' Tonight: Sun Records and the Birth of Rock and Roll by Colin Escott and Martin Hawkins - This is actually a revised edition, put out in 2011. It was new to me, though, and as I have an interest in rock music history I thought Rockin' would appeal. Indeed, it's a thorough and entertaining history of Sun Records and their many imitators in the days of jazz and rockabilly, and the beginnings of rock and roll. Read my complete review here.

The Other Life by Ellen Meister - This came recommended by a friend, who is a friend of the author. If you're into magic realism, you might find this one interesting. It's similar to the story in Sliding Doors, only the main character knows there is a parallel universe and she can jump from one life to the next at various times. Trippy.

Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher - I will read anything Carrie writes, I call her an influence. Shockaholic is a slim book, but I think it's better than Wishful Drinking. I think this book is more cohesive and the stories interest me more because I was familiar with much of the territory covered in Drinking. If you want a good companion to this book, rent her HBO special.

My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business by Dick Van Dyke - We all love Betty White, yes, but who doesn't love some Dick? (sorry) I suppose I am a bit old school, I love the classic shows like DVD's first series, and the mystery lover in me got caught up in Diagnosis Murder - I was probably their youngest viewer. Therefore, it's natural I'd want to read Dick's memoirs. I will say, though, you would expect a guy who will only make movies his children/grandchildren could watch couldn't possibly reveal any skeletons, but you'll be surprised here. It reads as a rather honest story.

No comments: