Thursday, December 1, 2011

Guest Blog - Lori Toland

Me Want Food welcomes guest author Lori Toland! Lori is giving away a choice of a $25 GC to either Amazon, AllRomanceEbooks or Loose Id to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour, so be sure to comment on this post! To comment on other posts and increase your chances of winning, click here for other stops on Lori's tour.

Thanks for stopping to chat! Please tell us a bit about your latest release, or what's coming up.

Thanks for having me by! :)

I’m so excited for Soul Seduction to finally be out. Ashlee is a nurse by day and a demon slayer by night (hmm, like I’m a CEO by day and a demon slayer… I mean writer, by night) and fighting demons is at the top of her to-do list until she meets her sexy neighbor, Luke Byrne. Even though he is human, she can't stop dreaming about his buff body and sexy grin, until her dreams turn to nightmares.

Her world is turned upside down when Luke follows her one night but instead of being afraid, he is only more determined to stand beside her and fight. Ashlee knows she needs to keep her distance from Luke, not just to protect her virginity but her heart as well. But Luke may be the only one who can save her from the night, and her dreams.

Did you have to do a lot of research to complete this work?

I did research a lot of different things for this story. Some things I used from my experiences, like visiting Liverpool, England, which I highly recommend. My husband was born there, even though he grew up north of London. The upscale shopping in Southport is not to be missed but there is so much more to the city than most people think.

Most of my research was of the catacombs. Even though I don’t describe them too much, I had to map out where they were and how far they were from Ashlee’s flat. I also researched swords and weaponry demon slayers would have and what made their swords different from average, everyday swords.

What is a day in your writing life like? Do you have a set schedule?

Well, I work a day job as a CEO. Since I’m the owner as well, no one tells me I can’t take an hour off to write. Of course, this extends my schedule and makes a longer day so it’s a catch 22. But I usually get up, have a coffee while I read my e-mail. If no screaming emergencies, I tend to write. Then I have lunch, do errands and come back home. I often take my laptop with me so if I have a few minutes, I can stop at a coffee shop.

I get a couple days a week like this. The rest of the time I’m running around with my hair on fire, trying to take care of problems in the company, doing deliveries, meeting with my accountant. I could go on, but my professional life is kind of boring (that’s why my editor makes me cut those scenes when I wax poetic about business in my books).

Do you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser? Or maybe both?

I’m proud to be a plotser(a strange hybrid of both). I love plotting everything in my books but I know when to let the characters take over for me. I did that recently with The Long Con, my next book under contract from Loose Id. I knew there would be a happily ever after, even if it killed me, but I had no idea how I was going to get there. I really enjoyed the journey.

With Soul Seduction however, my characters stayed on my plot track pretty well. Except Luke ended up in glasses. *drool*

Do you prefer to write one specific genre, or are you a bit all over the map? What is your favorite genre to write and why?

I’ve been writing m/m contemporary since I started. I really enjoy that but I’ve kind of been bitten by the action bug. I love writing the adrenaline rush, where your heart is racing and the bad guys are chasing you and RUN RUN RUN!

Do you own an e-reader, or maybe two? How do you like it?

I love my e-readers. I’m a tech junkie so I tend to buy new and shiny gadgets. I have a Kindle DX. My husband loves that so he can read the papers from the UK, especially if there is a big scandal going on there. I also have an iPad and iPhone 4S with the Books app and Kindle app as well. I have an autoimmune disorder that attacks my joints so holding paper books is hard. I haven’t bought a paperback in two years (not counting freebies)

What do you have planned writing wise for the rest of the year?

Currently I’m working on my next release from Loose Id and my m/m fans will be happy to hear I’m returning back to the genre for this book. I’m also sketching out a sequel to Soul Seduction, where we return to Ashlee and Luke.

Last but definitely not the least, I’m also working on the Replacement Guitarist sequel and I’m planning a huge surprise. But I’m not telling you what it is. You’ll have to wait and see.

Do you have any social media profiles/pages where readers can follow you?

Absolutely! Stop by my website www.loritoland.com and check me out. I’m also loritoland on twitter and on Facebook www.facebook.com/lori.toland

Who are your favorite authors in your primary genre?

In the m/m genre, I adore Mary Calmes. She is one of my all-time favorite of any genre. Her characters are amazing and her plots even more so. And Amy Lane. No one does angst like her. I have to mentally prepare myself for her books but her writing is beautiful, like her one true love is the English language.

In the m/f genre, I love Richelle Mead, LJ Smith. I read The Vampire Diaries when they came out back in the early 90s. I also love Evangeline Anderson and Laurann Dohner is one helluva hot read! :)

Thanks for having me by! :)

About Lori

CEO by day, erotic romance writer by night, Lori Toland lives in Orlando where the summers are hot but the romance between her characters is even hotter. Writing since the tender age of 13, Lori somehow finds time to play video games and watch movies while taking care of her beloved cats and a husband who will forever be her hero.

http://loritoland.com/

http://loritoland.livejournal.com/

About the Book

Ashlee Bennett has her priorities straight. Fighting demons is at the top of the list until she meets her sexy neighbor, Luke Byrne. Even though he is human, she can't stop dreaming about his buff body and sexy grin, until her dreams turn to nightmares.

Her world is turned upside down when Luke follows her one night but instead of being afraid, he is only more determined to stand beside her and fight. Ashlee knows she needs to keep her distance from Luke, not just to protect her virginity but her heart as well. But Luke may be the only one who can save her from the night, and her dreams.


11 comments:

marybelle said...

I'm trying to picture the researching for the weapons. That would have been all kinds of cool.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting Lori today.

Magic Tickets said...

Thanks for sharing Lori, nice work on this one.

Karen H in NC said...

Hi Lori,

Thanks for sharing today. I am constantly amazed at the variety of day jobs authors have. You, a CEO while another (very famous & one of my top ten auto buys) is a college professor married to an Italian Knight! What glamorous lives you authors live! LOL I'm sure the authors reading today will have something to say about that!

daydrmzzz said...

Sounds so interesting and I love the cover!! Thanks for the great giveaway.
Drmgrl99atyahoodotcom

Cathy M said...

Congrats on your new release, Lori, and thanks for the favorite author's list. A new one for me is Mary Calmes, so I will be sure to check out her stories.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Lori Toland said...

Thank you for your kind comments :)

Chelsea B. said...

I enjoyed the interview! I have read a few of The Vampire Diaries books, but have to admit: I'm a total junkie for the show :-)
Wishing you tons to success!

justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

latishajean said...

What a great interview thank you I also love Richelle Mead she is one of my favorites! Great giveaway thank you so much!
Latisha D
tishajean@ charter.net

cait045 said...

I would love to read this new author. Great tour.
usignolc(at)yahooDOTcom

Krysykat said...

New and shiny gadgets are distractedly awesome!

Morganlafey86(at)aol(dot)com