Sunday, November 6, 2011

NaNo Week 1 Recap

So earlier this week I reported that I intended to try NaNoWriMo one more time, only I would adjust the rules to suit my writing habits. Typically, with the NaNo program you are supposed to write 50K words in November, concentrating on one project. The last three times I have tried that, however, I hit the wall about 5K words in. Then real life takes over, and I forget about the whole thing. This year, I have decided to write 50K words in November, period, regardless of the project. So far, this experiment is going well.

Let's break down my activity this first week. This word count does not include the writing I do for my day job - I'm sure I average 50K a month already just doing that work.

Week One


Act Daring: This is my latest Dareville WIP - an M/M set in the Dareville universe but not necessarily in the time frame of the Big 4 books (Truth or Dare through Dare to Dream). I'll have more details later, but I will note that I had well over 25K of this book written when I started NaNo. It is my intention to see this to completion as a full-length novel, which would be the first since Boone.

Week One Total - 8298 words


Project Blues Brothers: This is a work I am co-writing with my father. Dad is 75 and loves mysteries; he gave me the idea for one of my non-Leigh works, and he's wanted to write one of his own. He is currently working on the bones of the story while I flesh it out. This is a mystery involving the murder of a priest who operates a homeless shelter.

Week One Total - 1012 words


Rock Deadly: This is the follow-up to another non-Leigh novel, Dead Barchetta. My sleuth Lerxst Johnston is getting into trouble again.

Week One Total - 2652 words


Untitled WIP: I've been noodling with an erotic short that may not go more than 7K. Still undecided on what to do with this quickie.

Week One Total - 1850 words


GRAND TOTAL, WEEK ONE: 13812 WORDS


I'm a little over 1/5th of the way done. Not bad for me. I'm sticking to writing a minimum of 1,667 words a day, and just opening a project when the mood strikes. I write better at night, so I get the bulk of it done then. I may start a new project next week, we'll see.

No comments: