Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Indie Book Event 2011 - A Recap

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of speaking at the inaugural Indie Book Event, a one-day expo/workshop designed to educate people about the growing movement of self-publishing and independent publishing. When you really think about it, though, these concepts aren't entirely new, but the advent of simple publishing via Kindle and Nook has brought more attention to the opportunities available to authors. Digital presses that deal exclusively or primarily with eBook editions - like Phaze Books and others with which I'm associated - may be viewed on even ground with traditional publishers by some. At this event, I had my own table next to Robin Slick, a good friend and great author. We talked about our experiences in publishing, as solo practitioners and with small presses, and found the attendants were really interested in what we had to say.



So, too, did the local news. You'll find a link to coverage at the NY 1 website, though unfortunately I cannot embed the video here. I'm in the red shirt next to Robin early on in the story.

I think one of the high points of the event for me was meeting writers who were generally interested in getting involved in digital publishing. Some took my cards, presumably with the intent to contact me later. It truly is flattering that people want to know more about your experiences. I was very impressed by the organization of the event and the venue. It was a fair walk from Times Square, but in a pretty good area of Manhattan. For lunch Robin and I found a terrific little Thai place, where I had the combo:


I like to come to these events because, even though I've been in the business of writing/editing for 20 years, I still learn things. I gained some good Amazon marketing tips that I am going to apply once I catch my breath. I have to prepare for Authors After Dark coming up, and then September I rest. I hope.




No comments: