Saturday, June 25, 2011

Guest Blog: Augusto Pinaud

Me Want Food welcomes Augusto Pinaud to today's guest blog slot. If you are interested in contributing as a guest blogger, just send a note to kspatwriter at yahoo dot com for instructions. Thanks!

Readers of our books don’t want to know we are afraid
by Augusto Pinaud

Readers of our books don’t want to know we are afraid, the people that read our books, don’t want to know that we most likely stop writing those pages they are immersed on many times, they didn't want to know that we struggle with the story, that we doubt if people will enjoy them, and that we were afraid that we may never finish them.

They want to move trough the story, and they want to read the next story, and they want to read more, they want to cry with the character and fell in love, and wish, and dream and hope. It doesn’t matter if you write fiction, drama, romance or paranormal, the reader is looking for hope, and your job as a writer is to make it present, but not free, the reader wants to work for it, as much as you want to give the hope away, the reader want to work for it, want to find it, want to believe is not there, but before that last sentence, it wants to know it exist.

They come to your pages looking for something, if you are lucky enough you will be able to provide it for them, doesn’t matter how, they don’t care and you shouldn’t either, your job is only to tell the story, a story that you had learn to love, to care for, but that doesn’t belong to you, a story that you have put on words and nothing more, a story that you have bring to life, a story that, like it or not, will never belong to you.

We, writers, struggle daily, out job is to tell stories that aren’t ours, deal with our fears, deal with our insecurities, and bring to the reader a word that they can imagine, a place were they can search for what they need, a thing that will bring them back to a place they need to go, but your job is never to let them know that you are afraid, that you cared about the character that you just killed, or the lost love opportunity or anything else, your job is to give them hope, without the reader known that you are also giving it to you, your job is to let them know you are afraid, without they feeling the fear, your job is to make them feel special, even when you had never met them before.

Q) Thanks for stopping to chat! Please tell us a bit about your latest release, or what's coming up.

My first novel, The Writer, was just released, it's a fast paced triller. This is how the story is presented: George Mason published the three books that made him famous. His secret is that he never wrote any of them, and when a fourth one shows up he decides to destroy it. That generates an adventure of intrigue, crime and mystery. George runs to look for the missing clues putting his life and the life of those around him, in great danger. Will George succeed or be the protagonist of a fifth manuscript?

Q) How did you become inspired to write this work?

I knew I want it to write novel and be a writer since I was in school many many years ago. I quit the dream because I convince myself that couldn't be possible. In 2009 I decided to prove me wrong and I began writing again. One day day-dreaming the Idea of a Best Seller Writer that had never wrote a book came to me.

When I got this story the first time, I begin to type, I had many of the details about the story and the places. I finish the first draft and begin to read it, it was awful, so I did the only think I knew to fix it. Hit delete and begin again. 59,000 words later I finish the second draft. I was proud, begin reading it, hoping for this story to work, but it didn't, the story wasn't good, and I was really exited, I was a real writer, i hit delete and began again. This last story, was what after many drafts end up as 'The Writer', I said that even the actual book is less than 51,000 words, took me around 115,000 to find it.

Q) Did you have to do a lot of research to complete this work?

I did, there is guns, weapons, planes, fake id,s and more. The best story of my research was in a trip Los Angeles - Miami, I got next to. Pilot, and I was writing, so when electronics were order to be shut for the last part, I ask a question about the plane that I need for my novel, his answer make me smile to this day. If I answer that question, I need to report you to the Marshall and you will need to answer many many questions, but a soon as we land I will had a coffee, there I can answer your question, shutout calling the Marshall, and he did.

Q) What is a day in your writing life like? Do you have a set schedule?

I would love to have an schedule, I try to write and I should write much more, sometimes is early, sometimes is late. For me the important thing is to track how much, doesn't matter if it is 500 words, every weekday.

Q) Do you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser? Or maybe both?

I plot the big idea, the details came later, and I don't force them. When George is running from a killer in 'The Writer' he got in the car, but the route wasn't planned, and cause me to make another bunch of research that wasn't part of it, same as the end, he goes to a place, that I tough he was never going to return.

I plan the main idea, then enjoy the writing, try to allow the personality of the character to bring me to the next step, this sometimes create chaos in the story. For example, in the novel I am right now, the story is in a point that I may need to kill one character that I like, this is the problem of letting the story goes, but the little surprises make the process also incredible.

Q) Do you prefer to write one specific genre, or are you a bit all over the map? What is your favorite genre to write and why?

I am a writer, therefore I write, anything that I can, i write about technology & productivity, but I love fast paced mystery, trillers full of suspense, but if a romance shows and need to be written I will do it, no question about it, I am a writer, I write, not as must as I wish, but as most as I can.

Q) Do you own an e-reader, or maybe two? How do you like it?

I own an IPad (that is my main machine, I read, use the web, and do most of my writing on it) use to have a Kindle and my wife have a Nook, but I really like my iPad. I have been reading books since the Palm Pilot III (a device most people didn't even remember), so over the years, I have read many many eBooks.

Q) What do you have planned writing wise for the rest of the year?

I am revising the next book, that should be out in September 2011. After that will be the next statement on that story, that I guess will be out in 2012. I also post often on my blog as well as on a blog called MindLikeMonkey about Productivity.

Q) Do you have any social media profiles/pages where readers can follow you?

I am in Twitter (@apinaud) as well as Facebook (Facebook.com/augustopinaud)

Q) Do you have a blog/Yahoo group for readers to stay updated on your works?

I also blog on www.augustopinaud.com

Q) What was the last book that you read? What did you think?

Last book I read was Buried Secrets of Joseph Finder, it was a pre-release version, and the book was fantastic. I love to read, I track every book, and have a personal goal of read 52 books every year at least, and I have been working hard for many years into make sure that I made the goal.

Q) Who are your favorite authors in your primary genre?

I love Agatha Christie and Sir Conan Doyle, love Michael Connelly, love Joseph Finder, but I will read more if I could, I honestly wish I can have ten times the time to read but there is only the time I have, and I do the best I can.

No comments: