Sunday, May 1, 2011

Guest Blog: RM Prioleau

 Me Want Food welcomes author RM Prioleau!

Thanks for stopping to chat! Please tell us a bit about your latest release, or what's coming up.

My latest release, "The Necromancer's Apprentice," is my first-ever printed work for sale. The Necromancer's Apprentice is a gothic fantasy novella featuring a female heroine who narrates a dark tale about her experiences being under the apprenticeship of a necromancer who has a hidden agenda. If you like stories with female heroines, sword and sorcery and dark twists, then you may enjoy "The Necromancer's Apprentice." The book has been out since April 7th, and available in e-Book format from these places:

Amazon US - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VS977E/?tag=kindleboards-20
Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Necromancers-Apprentice/dp/B004VS977E
Barnes & Noble - http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Necromancers-Apprentice/RM-Prioleau/e/2940012678003#
Goodreads - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11046658-the-necromancer-s-apprentice
Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52250

The printed version of the book can be purchased from CreateSpace: https://www.createspace.com/3564889

The e-Book versions are $0.99 USD and the printed version is $5.99 USD.


How did you become inspired to write this work?

I wrote this book during the GothNoWriMo competition, which is a NaNoWriMo-esque event in which you write a gothic-themed novel in a month. I wanted to write in a genre I don't normally write in, but still keep the familiar fantasy elements with it. Thus, I produced a gothic-fantasy story that is, perhaps, unlike many other stories in this genre. I really wanted to write something 'gothic' that didn't include vampires and werewolves (because that area is already saturated as it is).

Did you have to do a lot of research to complete this work?

I did, since the gothic genre was still new to me. I read older, classic stories (such as works byNathaniel Hawthorne, HP Lovecraft, and Charlotte Bronte) rather than modern mainstream in order to really study the various elements that go into writing effective gothic fiction. There's more that makes up this genre than what we've seen in most mainstream works.

What is a day in your writing life like? Do you have a set schedule?

I don't usually have a set schedule when I write, however, once I do start writing, I try to set a goal for myself (like daily wordcounts). With my busy schedule, I try to squeeze in some writing time every chance I get.

Do you prefer to write one specific genre, or are you a bit all over the map? What is your favorite genre to write and why?

Fantasy is my favorite genre to write in because I think it is the one genre that allows you to use your complete imagination to shape the world and everything in it. There are no rules to fantasy except those that you create.

I've always loved reading and writing fantasy, and thus it's the one genre I can always fall back on. I do like to explore other genres, however. The Necromancer's Apprentice, for example, is more gothic-themed, which is beyond my familiarity. However, I added the fantasy element in order to make it easier for me to write and relate to from that standpoint. I think I might try writing a romance novel, but keep it fantasy, as well. I think it's okay to do it this way--to have a genre you're familiar with and one you're not so familiar with to balance things out. It will make your writing experience a lot easier in the end.

Are you published primarily in print or e-Book, or both equally? Which format do you prefer and why?

Because I want to cover all areas, I want to be published equally in digital (e-book) form, and traditional (printed book) form. There are pros and cons to both of them. If I had a choice in a format, I would have to choose the traditional way. There's no greater feeling than having an actual printed version of your work in the palm of your hands, the smell and feel of those fresh-printed pages... You just can't get that from an E-reader.

Do you own an e-reader, or maybe two? How do you like it?
I own a Classic Nook and (recently) a Kindle, both of which I've put to good use. I originally got a Nook because I am a fan of the Android OS, however, there has not been much support for the Classic Nook, which has really broken my heart. The device is well-made, and there's so much potential for more. I only hope that B&N will offer it.

I have been enjoying my Kindle thus far -- so much, I've been making a case for it! It's not too much different from the Nook, except for the fact that it's much easier to find indie books on there. I like supporting indie authors whenever I can.

Do you have any social media profiles/pages where readers can follow you?

Absolutely! You can find me at the following places:

My main website - http://www.rmprioleau.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/RM-Prioleau/194112670629521
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/rmprioleau
Goodreads - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4775117.R_M_Prioleau

Do you have a blog/Yahoo group for readers to stay updated on your works?

All of my blogging takes place on my main website: http://www.rmprioleau.com. In conjunction with my social media outlets, I try to keep it updated regularly with my latest literary happenings.

Will we see you at any cons/signings soon?

Indeed you will! Now that my book has been released, I'd like to reach out and attend some cons to spread the word! I'm also considering doing blog tours. It's a tough and exhausting road trying to market yourself.

No comments: