Saturday, May 14, 2011

99 Cent Saturday - FM For Murder

For this week's installment of 99 Cent Saturday, I chose FM for Murder because it met a number of requisites for me. It's priced right, the reviews appeared positive overall, it's a mystery - my home genre - and it looked like a book I could cross review at Books That Rock Us. Here's the blurb:

Who shot the disk jockey while he was on air? No one saw the killer, but many heard the murder on the radio. Local police are mystified and ask Psychology professor and acoustics expert Pamela Barnes to assist them in investigating the crime. Can she determine who shot the deejay just by listening to the radio station's audio recording of the killing? And how does this crime connect to the impending death of a wealthy carpet manufacturer hundreds of miles away? And the driven behavior of his conscientious son who hides a very important secret? Unknown to Pamela, another thread of this strange mystery is about to unravel. Will she be able to solve it before another victim is claimed? In FM FOR MURDER, the second in Patricia Rockwell's acoustic mystery series, we follow feisty amateur sleuth Pamela Barnes who doesn't let academic duties prevent her from fighting crime. And Pamela fights crime with the tools she knows best-sound waves.

Now, this is the second book in Patricia Rockwell's series. I suppose in my last spending tear I didn't catch that, but I'm notorious for starting series mid-stream (I started the Kinsey Millhone books at I and backtracked, for crying out loud). This is actually a good thing, because it will tell me whether or not the sequel stands on its own, and if it's good enough to make me want to backtrack.

So far, the book keeps my attention - the POV shifts between the sleuth and her harried family, behaving so apparently from her previous adventures in murder solving, to another character whose role in the book I haven't placed yet, though the blurb hints at secrets.

There is the occasional glitch in the book - one character refers to a matchmaking parent as Yentl rather than the more correct term yenta - which is the Yiddish name for a busybody/gossip. Yentl was the proper name of a character in an Isaac Bashevis Singer play. Yes, it's splitting hairs, but one should note these are the things that distract readers. I would know; I've committed these crimes myself and have had readers call me on them.

So tune in next week for my full assessment on the Read/Pass scale of this title and see what other 99 cent eBooks I have purchased. As for last week's Nowhere Man, I must give that one a Pass, but may try another of that author's books in the future.

No comments: