Saturday, May 28, 2011

99 Cent Saturday - The Bouncer

I picked up The Bouncer by Trinity Marlow from All Romance for 99 cents. This is an intense BDSM novellette, as made evident by the cover. I will read BDSM on occasion, but I tend to stick to the same authors because I know to expect quality and realism in the writing. Bridget Midway is especially good at it, and having spent time with her at fetish events selling books I know how well she researches the lifestyle for her stories. In this genre, I consider Bridget an auto-buy, and since this isn't my first genre of choice I tend to be choosy when trying somebody new. I hadn't heard of Marlow before seeing this book, and figured with the nice cover presentation and the price, why not? Here's the blurb:

Kaylee’s wanted Patrick for years, but he’s always held her at arm’s length. She’s celebrating her divorce and this time she’s determined not to let him off the hook...but can she handle the secret he’s been trying to protect her from?

The story, while nicely detailed with strong dialogue and good characterizations, may read as familiar - a woman coming out of a bad relationship is determined to get back on the bicycle and sets her sights on friend/club bouncer, who happens to be in the Lifestyle. Though he has feelings for his friend, there is a reluctance to introduce her to his proclivities, for good reason. Without giving away too much of the story, I will admit one admission by the hero left me unsettled through the rest of the story, but I'm not sure that qualifies The Bouncer as a pass. BDSM is not my thing in real life, so I can't say if our hero's attitude is common in that realm.

As for last week's 99 cent pick, Across the Veil: I will give it a pick. It's a nice, sweet fantasy romance, though while reading it I got the feeling that the story was bigger than the finished product. It starts in the midst of action, and I had so many questions about backstory and the Fae world involved. Perhaps author Kessler has more stories in mind for this world?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never read a book like this, but might give it a try, especially since you are donating books to our troops!