Monday, April 25, 2011

What I'm Reading: Superstar

Everybody has that one guilty pleasure - that one album played over and again, that one movie we can't help but watch when it runs on TNT. Ged forbid somebody should discover this secret and point and laugh. I think for a lot of people, The Carpenters fell into that category. Two very talented musicians, but always straddling the line between cool and uncool. Let's face it, would you run out buy every album by a band that President Nixon loved? Yeah.

Eventually you might, but you're not likely to brag about it like Tricky Dick did. Me, I don't own any Carpenters albums, but it doesn't necessarily mean I don't like their work. They have a number of songs I like, and once I start listening I find it's difficult to turn to something else. Karen Carpenter's voice has a lot to do with that, and it's sad to know we aren't going to hear anything new from her again.

I couldn't tell you what it is about the Karen Carpenter story that fascinates me. I saw that made for TV movies years ago, and this new biography on Karen opens with mention of the same flick. I remember thinking it sad that she had this wonderful voice and creative success, yet never seemed happy. If you believe the movie, nobody wanted to help her remedy that. So when I saw this book, I felt compelled to buy it for my rock music book review blog. I'm only four chapters in, but riveted. Look for the review on the other side.

1 comment:

krispykremekiller said...

I like the analysis that they were squarely in between cool and uncool. No matter what side you came from, you couldn't help but acknowledge the talent and the songs. My sister and I were from both ends of the spectrum. I was the rocker, she was the MOR person. I actually enjoyed watching them on those variety shows as much as she did.