Thursday, March 24, 2011

What I'm Eating - Sweet Cream

When I was in college, I could put away an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream and not even think about it afterward. What I wouldn't give to have that metabolism back. I still love ice cream, but I must enjoy it in severe moderation these days. When I voluntarily went off dairy, it was the hardest thing I had to give up. I still don't drink milk, but I'd gladly give up cheese as well if it meant I could still have ice cream.

Recently, the gourmet sandwich shop up the street started stocking Jeni's. This is an Ohio-based brand that offers unusual flavors that would cause Baskin and/or Robbins to raise an eyebrow and cringe. Yes, there's Dark Chocolate, but I'm sure it's the kind you marry rather than eat. I would have bought that pint, but I opted instead for Salty Caramel, which is exactly how their website describes: a burnt sugar base coupled with a salty-sweet finish. I couldn't tell you what to pair it with - it doesn't need the added texture of a brownie or cone to improve upon the flavor.

At ten bucks a pint, though, this must be a sometimes treat, bought when I have a good month at Kindle. I find their seasonal flavors equally intriguing. I hope I can get back to the store before all the Goat Cheese Cognac Fig is sold out.

No comments: