Thursday, March 17, 2011

What I'm Drinking: St. What's?

This is a day we normally associate with beer. Whether it's a pint of smoky Guinness or a plastic cup of horse water dyed green, beer is what's on tap on St. Patrick's Day. Not being Irish, or a beer drinker, I tend to limit my imbibing on this day. Even though the holiday doesn't fall on a meatless Friday this year, you won't find any corned beef on my plate, either. I have decided to go veg for Lent for the full forty days, and the Sundays that are traditionally breaks from the fast. Usually when I do this I try to go longer to see how it takes before I crack. I don't usually last long, but I have a lot going on mentally and spiritually and could use the cleanse. I also want to wear skinny jeans again, one day.

I have decided, however, I will not deprive myself completely of vices. I might not eat as much chocolate this Lent, but I think I will hang onto the Virginia wine. Rather, I'll drink it, because we have so damn much of it. You should see the Excel spreadsheet I made up that cross references varietals and vineyards. Hubby and I have a few favorites among the Central Virginia wineries: Veritas, Blenheim, Pollak, and Cardinal Point for four. There's always at least one bottle from these four in the house, and I suspect it will take several Lents before we make a dent in the traveling cellar. If I had to choose a favorite varietal, I'd say Cabernet Franc red and Viognier white, which the Virginia wineries seem to do especially well. I'll certainly toast to St. Patrick this night, count on it.

No comments: