Monday, March 14, 2011

I Am the God of Hell Fire and I Bring You...

Of course, the crazy world of Arthur Brown (look him up, toddlers) has little to do with the dangerous world of Katniss Everdeen. I've just wanted to use that title for a while now.

So I have finished The Hunger Games, and I rather liked it. Dystopia fiction isn't typically my bag, but I know this trilogy is hot right now. If it came down to dystopic angst versus sparkling vampires, I'll go with the former, and the first book certainly delivered there. I'm more than halfway through Catching Fire, though, and am just frustrated as all hell. I don't want to spoil the story for anybody, but I will say that the situations arising here have me feeling for the main characters. To get through one ordeal only to face something more grueling inspires those feelings. Yet, we couldn't have a trio of books to read if nothing happened after the first one, right?

Seems I'm reading these at a good time, too, given movie talk. Naturally Book One is greenlighted - there's just the question of finding the right cast. Already the Twitterverse is abuzz with cautious accusations of white-washing before it's even happened. Katniss describes herself as olive-skinned and dark-haired, so naturally Hollywood is looking for a blonde to play her. As a brunette of Italian descent, I'm miffed. This film better have a nice makeup budget.

So, we'll see how Mockingjay goes before I render a final verdict on this trilogy. I likely won't pick up another title of similar genre - like I said, it's not my bag - but I'm sure I'll be persuaded otherwise.

1 comment:

Cassandra @ Indie Reader Houston said...

I loved the first book, and I have the second, but I've been a bit afraid to read it. I hear that it is a bit irritating. I also hear that Mockingjay closes things down nicely.

Oh, and I recommend Sarwat Chadda's books for something that doesn't seem to fit the mold of the other YA series out there. Even if they look the same, the amount of research that he must do to make them as accurate as they are is pretty amazing.