Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Joy of Almond

During the time I spent hanging at the Edgar Cayce center, I heard quite a bit about almonds. I saw quite a bit of them, too. I'd see bowls of them on desks with spoon dipped halfway in, inviting people to enjoy a scoop. There is a Cayce reading that suggests eating just two or three a day can help prevent a tendency toward cancer. Doesn't say it's a cure-all, but the almond is a top nut where some health experts are concerned.

In some of the Eat This, Not That books I've read, the almond is one of the super snacks. Almonds, blueberries, and some dark chocolate together are the perfect afternoon pick-me-up. I enjoy them pretty much any way I can get them - they don't require a lot of work, for just the raw, unsalted ones are full of flavor. However, I am a spice ho' (no, not like the singers) and I just love discovering new flavors of savory snacks. To this end, I recently found two new varieties of Blue Diamond Almonds that I love love love...

I found the Blue Diamond Buffalo Wing (pictured) and the Honey Dijon varieties at two different stores - immediate impulse buys for me, and good ones. The honey dijon has a tangy flavor that isn't overpowering, and while I expected the Buffalo to blast me out of my chair, it didn't. It has a kick, yes, but it's not painful. Very tasty.

I have tried most of the Blue Diamond flavors, and I have to say I prefer the savory to the sweets, so I will rank the former according to my preference best to least:

Smokehouse
Honey Roasted
Blazin' Buffalo Wing
Honey Dijon
Barbeque
Wasabi and Soy Sauce
Lime and Chili

The site doesn't list a few flavors I've had, like the black pepper variety. I suppose they are discontinued. Honey Dijon isn't up, either, and I hope that doesn't mean they're on the way out. I just found them! That would drive me nuts.

Okay, I'm going back to work.

No comments: