Sunday, February 20, 2011

Guest Blog - JT Whitehall, co-author of Silver Wings

Today at Me Want Food, I welcome JT Whitehall, one of the contributors to Silver Wings, the new steampunk anthology from Phaze Books. Thanks for stopping to chat! Please tell us a bit about your latest release, or what's coming up.

Thanks for having me. :) Of course, I'm here to talk a bit about my contribution to Silver Wings, the story "Surface Tension." The working title was actually "Desertion," but a suggestion from my wonderful editor (nudge) convinced me to try a title with a bit more, ah, pizazz.

Anyway, this is the story of a man some may consider unlucky by virtue of bad birth timing (second son in a family of nobles), yet Shel doesn't care much for wealth. He prefers to spend his days in the company of his inventions and, when he can, handsome men. When a submarine beaches near his holiday home, he discovers a Yankee solider inside, alone but for his secrets.

Did you have to do a lot of research to complete this work?

Quite a bit, yes. Steampunk is a unique animal. It is expected by readers, when you write historical stories, to get the facts straight, yet steampunk adds a fantastic element that also requires adherence to rules. While writing "Tension," I spent days consulting websites to make sure I got certain things right - protocols and equipment, geographic locations, etc. I can only hope all the t's are crossed.

Do you prefer to write one specific genre, or are you a bit all over the map? What is your favorite genre to write and why?


I am pretty much all about the M/M. Though I read a variety of genres, I am attracted to writing M/M because I identify with it more. :)

Do you own an e-reader, or maybe two? How do you like it?

I don't own a physical reader, but I do have the Nook and Kindle apps on my phone. I like them fine, but I think I will break down and buy a larger reader just so I can see the words better. The small phone screen wears on you after a while.

What do you have planned writing wise for the rest of the year?

I would like to try my hand at a longer work, a novel. I have mostly shorts out now because, I suppose, I have only the patience for writing short. I think readers would like to see more M/M novels, however.

Desert Island quiz: you can only bring one album, one DVD set for your favorite TV show, and one movie. What are they?

No contest. Frank Zappa's Apostrophe, the original Star Trek, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I know that last one is cheating a bit, but you can't have one without the others. :)

Most f***able movie star of the 1930s-50s? Why?

Tough choice, but I'm going with Gregory Peck. He had a silent power on screen that just exuded sexy. Runner-up...I'd turn straight for Marlene Dietrich easily.

Who do you like in the next World Series?


I'm a New Yorker. I was Yankee born and Yankee bred, and when I'm gone I'll be Yankee dead!

http://jtwhitehall.blogspot.com

No comments: