Monday, January 31, 2011

What I Hope to Be Reading

While I continue to whittle away on my new Kobo reader, I'm thinking about the future and what I would like to read. Having recently joined a book club has helped the revive the reading bug, and as I prepare to write Dead Sector A I realize I should return to certain worlds and get a feel for the atmosphere I plan to illustrate. That's why you'll see my wishlist below is somewhat themed:


I have wanted to read Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend since it first came out. It's true the love-hate relationship between Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey is legendary, but I've always believed Keith Moon was the most fascinating member of The Who. Neil Peart has cited the band as one of his favorites (Rush does an incredible cover of "The Seeker", BTW) and no doubt Moon influenced him as much as Buddy Rich did. I know there have been plans to make a film bio, so I definitely want to read this book first. Only problem: not on Kindle. I ended up caving in and buying the print, so it sits on my TBR pile.


I couldn't tell you how many books about John Lennon I have read. YA geared bios, fiction, and even Albert Goldman's abomination. John Lennon: Shoulda Been There is first part of a rather ambitious undertaking, a fictional account of Lennon's life. Unlike other published Beatles fiction, these books by Jude Kessler are apparently true to life events, with much of the dialog conjecture. There are two books out so far, and a third on the way. Like Moon, these are also not on Kindle, but I've contacted the author to see if she plans it.


I had a chance to see Carrie Fisher's one-woman show, I goofed around, and I missed it. So kicking myself for fucking that up. I don't get HBO, either, so I'll have to wait for the DVD, and there better be one. Now, I've read Wishful Drinking, and it was okay - I had hoped to read more in that brief memoir. That's why I'm looking forward to Shockaholic, which as I understand it, will mainly cover the Star Wars years. This will be on Kindle, but for $11.99 - ouch!

Of course, there are others, and I'll hopefully have reviews of books very soon. If only I could multi-task to the extent where I'm doing the reading, knitting, writing and eating at the same time - now there's a blog for another day!

No comments: