Monday, January 10, 2011

Rock and Roll Will Save My Life? Does it Know CPR?

So my final verdict on the zombie book, sad to say, isn't wholly good. There were moments I found the story amusing and hair-raising, but on the whole I guess I just didn't get into it. One patch where the action diverts into a third-party tale told by a supporting character threw me off track a bit, and overall I just didn't find the main character likable. Perhaps, though, in a zombie book that is the point, but even with some of the most irascible characters in books (I think of Skink from some of Carl Hiaasen's novels) there is something to be admired. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind reading this - I may try the first in the series later on for a better base in the series.

For now, though, I've recently signed up for the Rock Book Club after seeing Robin Slick mention it on Facebook. Her book Daddy Left Me Alone with God is up for the possible February read, and I have read and enjoyed that one. Right now, though, we are reading Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life by Steve Almond. The description seems to put it on par with High Fidelity, only this is memoir rather than fiction, so it will be interesting to see if there is a contrast.

In the meantime, you can follow the conversation via Twitter through the hashtag #RockBookClub. I'll pop in from time to time, but I don't think I'll make any of the meetups, the next of which is in Boston. Now, if they ever vote to read Dead Barchetta (heh), I'll be happy to make the trip.

I do hope Robin's book get picked, if not for February then sometime this year. It is a very good story, a roman a clef crossed with fantasy - as much of the story involves a group of young graduates from a "rock school" not unlike the one her own children attended. Robin tells some interesting stories, too - I'd probably make the trip to that real life meetup.

No comments: