Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Eight down, **** to go

I had to stare at the scale several minutes this morning to confirm that in my first week of Weight Watchers I'd lost EIGHT FREAKING POUNDS! Looking in the mirror later, I didn't think I looked any different from when I began the program, and my clothes aren't falling off yet, but I'll take eight lost over one gained any day.

I've done Weight Watchers before, but not once have I lost so much in one week. It's inspired me, to say the least, to be more mindful of how I eat and to exercise daily - even if I take a short walk. I will admit, the loss resulted in my losing a point in my daily allowance, but I see it as a challenge to work around foods I enjoy. Chocolate comes to mind. I blog enough about it, and I don't intend to give it up. I'll simply enjoy it in smaller quantities. Right now I have all my Vosges bars marked in one-point portions. One thing to note about chocolate is that dark doesn't equate to diet - don't think you can eat more of it and not be penalized down the road.

I've promised to take the little one camping this fall, too, and camp food is anything but forgiving. Right now I'm working to devise the lowest-point possible s'more. Here's what I have learned so far:

  • A marshmallow is half a point
  • A low-fat graham cracker (intact with all 4 perforated sections) is 2 points
  • The traditional milk Hershey bar is 5 points total, so 2.5 per half used per s'more, unless I use quarters, which likely knocks off half a point
Going the standard route, a s'more figures out to be 5 points each. Now I could go open-faced and knock off a point, and maybe I could use a miniature Hershey bar, which is only one point. Or I could try something really exotic and use a mini York peppermint patty. Now there's a taste sensation.

No comments: