Sunday, April 12, 2009

De-ranked: the #amazonfail debacle

I'm hoping by the time I finish this post the words will be invalid. This morning I discovered several Phaze Books titles, including some of mine, were stripped of their Amazon ranks. Now, my books there were never too high on the lists (my personal best is ten thousand-something), but over the years we've had a number of titles do well there. Some placed on the GLBT best seller lists, a marvelous feat.

Today, it appears the majority of books "de-ranked" included erotic romance (Harlequin Spice, Kensington Aphrodosia, and many ePub prints), GLBT fiction and non-fiction. Heather Has Two Mommies, The Front Runner, and Harvey Milk bio are among the listed.

I won't go into detail, but you can visit Mark Probst for the 411. If you're on Twitter, use the search term #amazonfail and get comfortable. I have to hand it to micro-blogging, with regards to getting the word out: a Google-bomb campaign set up by the Smart Bitches has their site ranking at the top on the term "Amazon rank."

What do Amazon.com's actions mean? Basically, it's made it difficult for certain books to show up in search, and some will not show on bestseller lists. And Amazon.com is really screwing around. At 7:20 on Easter night, I did a search Leigh Ellwood in Amazon.com now, and only Daring Young Man in print showed, and just a few of my Kindle titles. Nothing else. Interestingly enough, one of those Kindles is my M/M title, Taste This.

At 7:35, another search yielded all my titles, e and print. I don't know what is going over there, but they truly need to reconsider this de-ranking move.

Until they do, I encourage my readers to purchase either directly from Phaze Books, or go to All Romance eBooks for your fix. If you own a Kindle, like I do, you can purchase titles for it at either cart. In fact, we might sweeten the deal with a sale. Stay tuned.

No comments: