Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chocolate Review: Galler Grand Marnier

I picked up this slim, yet thick bar at Chelsea Market a few weeks ago. The 70 gram dark Belgian caught my eye mainly for the Grand Marnier. I like the flavor of it, and you'd think combined with chocolate we'd have a winner here. Noting the finger-width thickness of the bar, my first guess was that this obviously was not a solid dark. Whether I should expect liquid or creme I wouldn't learn until recently, and on open the heavy wrapper I realized that bar must have been sitting for a while in the market. The four pillow, while not waxy, had tempered quite a bit, and in parts it looks as though the outer shell of the bar is pulling away. Not something I usually see, but I don't really know if this would make a difference in my review.

There is a filling - it is a white, nougat style - a marzipan texture, and boy is it sweet. The underside layer of chocolate breaks easily with each bite, but I have to admit it was difficult for me to get through just one square of this. I've mentioned in other reviews how too sweet of a bar isn't necessarily a good thing for me. If you have a taste for this sort of thing, this Galler may suit you. I don't think I'll be finishing it.

And, to be fair to the grand, I will try a solid as soon as I find one.