Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Week in Chocolate

Yes, I'm still eating it. I know it's been a while since I last reported my chocolate adventures, mainly because I've been slowly whittling away at the Lindt basket. I keep some truffles at my work desk, limiting myself to one a day, which is really all I need. The milk chocolate ones are especially good as an after lunch treat.

This week, though, I took a few days to cleanse the palate with some substitutions. The first bar is another Christmas gift, a pleasant reminder of a trip to Biagio Chocolates in DC. Patric Chocolate is created, I'm told, by one guy with a setup in his living room in Columbia, Missouri. He makes three distinct dark varieties, each a different cacao content. To taste any of them, however, you'd think they were single-origin imports from Honduras or some other exotic locale.

I have, or had, all three bars. The 67% dark is gone now, leaving behind the fond memory of a healthy snap and a fruity nose. Tart on the tongue, this selection finished buttery smooth and has tempted me to buy more before the maker runs out of this batch.

Today, I took a different direction with a bar bought today at local Greek deli. ION Chocolate is a Greek brand, and there were two varieties available - milk and milk with almonds. I chose the latter to justify the health value of almonds and indulged in a bite after lunch. As far as milks go, I found it close to the texture and taste of Cadbury - creamy and sweet and complementary of the nuts. For three bucks, however, this probably won't be a regular purchase if I can find a comparable bar cheaper. If I do find a dark bar from this label, though, I might give it a try.

1 comment:

krispykremekiller said...

There is no way in hell I could have all the chocolate you have at your desk and not eat it! You have willpower! The Patric stuff is just incredible. To people who can't taste red fruit in dark chocolate, this will blow your mind. Does a fruitier chocolate exist? I think not.