Monday, December 8, 2008

Getting Leia'd

Back in the late 70s / early 80s, I imagine there were two types of people in the world: those who wanted to be Princess Leia and those who wanted to do Princess Leia (more so after that metal bikini scene that launched a thousand wet dreams). Many years and many special editions later, I hazard to guess some people's desires haven't changed - maybe some of us have vacillated between wanting to be and do, but that's a blog for another day.

Anyway, I've been a fan of Carrie Fisher's since the Star Wars days, and I've read everything she's written. She's damn funny, she's survived, and despite all the crap she's endured and shot up her nose or in her veins or however she did it, I'd still want to be her...if only to have the opportunity to say, "I'm still here, and I'm still damn funny."

Her latest book, Wishful Drinking, is damn funny in spots, but I'm dismayed that the overall package is somewhat disappointing. For a memoir it's a rather slim book, and the print is quite large, so that should tell us one thing - after all the drugs and electro-shock therapy and Paul Simon, Carrie can only remember so much to put in a non-fiction book. We seem to hover constantly on the outer fringe of something especially juicy without getting into the dirty, Hollywood Babylon style detail. I already knew she and Paul love/hated each other, that her father ran off with Liz Taylor and that she did drugs. I've seen the Star Wars Holiday Special, and I'm guessing they all had to be high to agree to that. I guess I just wanted more from the stories hinted at in the book. How much of an asshole was Chevy Chase while filming Under the Rainbow (God, even I remember that one, I should envy Carrie's memory lapse here), and why didn't she tell Lucas to f*** off when he ordered her to remove her underwear for the first movie (see, now you want to buy the book)? And what happened to the film adaptation of Surrender the Pink? Hopefully nobody's forgotten.


No comments: