Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank you for being a friend

Very saddened to hear the actress Estelle Getty has passed away. I grew up on The Golden Girls, and it may sound strange to hear it, but I identified with Sophia. Yeah, how does a teenager identify with an octogenarian fictional character? It's hard to explain. I'm of Sicilian descent, and grew up around Sophias for much of my youth. She reminded me so much of my grandmother and great-grandmother - the speech, the mannerisms...everything from dismissive hand gestures to stories of the old country to some incredible ziti and zucchini. Years later, my husband and I would watch reruns and laugh the exchanges between Dorothy and Sophia.

Once Malc turned to me and said, "That's you and your mother in about twenty years." God, I hope so. And I hope in fifty years that's me and Geneva.

God rest you, Estelle. Thanks for the laughs.

No comments: