Thursday, July 24, 2008

Red lines, dead ends

We have quite earth-shattering news forthcoming from the kingdom of Phaze (nothing bad, sorry to scare or disappoint, depending on what you think of us), but hopefully it's something that will shake things up a bit for the better.

A not-so-flattering review of a Phaze title crossed my radar today. If this job has given me anything, it's the ability to grow thicker skin. Not that I'm pleased to read meh reactions to our books, and hopefully this won't be an ongoing series of events, but I do take every bit of criticism received into serious consideration. Whether or not I can quickly implement changes is still an ongoing concern, but rest assured I am not the type of publisher to engage in public hissyfits. Not everybody is going to like everything, and not everything is perfect, but I can promise you I do my damnedest to beat the odds.

For the most part, I choose to remain silent on certain issues not because I'm uncaring or uninterested, but because I am trying my best to minimize ensuing Internet drama. It's much easier to tackle any problems within an organization with a clear head and on a smooth schedule than waste time bantering on blogs and digging deeper holes. If I get an e-mail from an unsatisfied reader, I don't pout or sniff, I do something to prevent another e-mail. I don't let criticism get me down, either. Neither should any author or editor. Some critics hated Star Wars and Titanic - not that I am comparing my books to these things, but I mention it to illustrate the diversity of tastes in this world.

I can pout that a reader didn't like one title, or I can pick myself up and make sure the next title out is better. The latter sounds like a more satisfying proposition.

Enough of the soapbox now. :)

One of the four publishers I queried requested a full on Excitable Gals. I'm curious to see where the process leads. It's been about 1-2 years since I submitted a work - that was Love's DoMINion to Liquid Silver - and it feels strange to be back in this territory. That I'm submitting work while acting as a publisher is odder. A part of me feels like I'm an unfaithful wife, yet I know eventually I will return to mystery writing and then I'll have no choice but to place my work elsewhere. Well, we shall see.

2 comments:

Alessia Brio said...

Okay, now I'm really curious!

Kat Lively / Leigh Ellwood said...

If you're referring to part one, it's about what we talked about this morning. For you, perhaps a mere tremor. LOL