Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Free or Not So Free, That is the Question

Today the rights to three of my Midnight Showcase stories return to me: Leading Lady, Excitable, and Blue Eyes. I've been thinking about what to do with them.

Blue Eyes, I think, will be a free read. I must confessed that it was hastily written to satisfy a deadline. At the time of writing I was transitioning to the job of Phaze's publisher, and that cut severely into my writing time. Blue Eyes, unfortunately, suffered as a result, and I was never happy with it. I figured since it was part of a digest maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but looking back I'm sorry I sent that story out when I wasn't 100% about it. So it may stay hidden until I figure out what to do with it.

The first two stories are connected, not quite a series but they feature overlapping characters. Leading is an alternate reality menage (MMF) and Excitable is a werewolf erotic comedy. I've fixed them up a bit and packaged them under one title, Excitable Gals, for submission. So far, it's gone to one publisher for consideration. I've already decided that if I can't place it anywhere, I will offer it for free. Yes, I have the Phaze option, but I'm not going to take advantage of my position there to bring home orphaned works. I've already moved two of my Venus Press titles there - partly because at the time we needed to fill our catalog, and because I hoped those stories would anchor series. The Healing may eventually have a prequel, it's been brewing in my head for a while.

Also, I have a number of new works in the cooker and would rather look ahead than back.

No comments: