Friday, June 13, 2008

That wicked, wicked wiki

Phaze used to have its own wiki. It was a cool thing to have in the beginning, because it gave authors another searchable avenue for promotion. The only problem was the novelty of it wore off quickly, and soon it became severely outdated. When an author would leave nobody would go in there to remove the information, then spammers figured out how to get in and we'd find links to buy cheap toner, so when I took over I just had Dan blast it into space. I figured our listing at RomanceWiki would suffice. Even that needs updating, however.

Well, I've started my own wiki through PBWiki, but only for my Dareville stuff. The Dareville Wiki is still under construction, but eventually it will become a directory of sorts for readers and fans. To be honest, it was almost necessary. It's getting to the point where I need a scorecard and a calendar to keep track of names and settings and dates, and having this wiki is more of a service to me than people coming into the series to read. One author I know uses Family Tree Maker to keep track of characters, which is ingeneous. I wish I had thought of that when I was writing the Ronnie Lord mysteries. I may have to find a cheap copy somewhere for this use.

No comments: