Monday, May 5, 2008

Today's Chocolate

Today's chocolate is a square of Frey Supreme Hot Chilli Pepper (that's how it's spelled on the package): 55% dark chocolate with chili pepper bits. For comparison, I'm trying this today with half a triangle of the remains of my Moonstruck Dark Chocolate Chile Variado bar. I don't have the cacao content of the latter, but will guesstimate that's it's around 55% as well.


As far as smell goes, the Frey seems to evoke a sharper aroma, almost cinnamon like on the nose, while the Moonstruck bar has a smokier scent. Tasting the Frey bar first, all I can say is holy freaking' cow! The bite is immediate and the chili sensation is powerful, it seems to separate from the tang of the cacao and linger in the back of the throat. The Moonstruck bar I had always found spicy, but by comparison it gives a milder impression. The smokiness of the chile flavor tends to blend better with the chocolate, though it packs a competitive punch against the Frey. It's not common for chocolate to bring me to tears, but the Frey is a good contender for that title.

Obviously this is not a chocolate for gobbling, but periodic savoring. I think in the future I'll pair this with some of the merlots and cab francs I got at the Montpelier Wine Festival this weekend. Did I mention that I bought 16 bottles of wine this weekend?

No comments: