Friday, May 2, 2008

Today's Chocolate

Today's chocolate is a miniature square of Ritter Sport Marzipan - sweet white marizpan filling enrobed with semi-sweet dark chocolate (% not listed on wrapper). I picked this up at Taste Unlimited with the other Ritter squares because I used to love marzipan. In college I used to frequent this German deli where they sold Mozartkugeln, amazingly rich bon-bons of chocolate, marzipan and nougat. They were hard to find where I lived, and this deli doubled as a gourmet import market, so I bought them when I could. Expensive little buggers.

Anyway, the Ritter marzipan bar does bring back some memories of it. It is incredibly sweet - the marzipan just conquers the flavor of the chocolate. I don't know how bitter the cacao is in this piece, probably no more than 70%, but I would definitely want to try something stronger with marzipan to see if it makes a difference. Overall, I like the flavor. Marzipan is like a dry nougat - imagine hardened, grainy sugar frosting with just a hint of almond flavoring. Not something I'd have on a daily basis, and no more than this tiny square, but a nice treat to begin the weekend.

No Mozart candy for me this weekend, but I'm going to try to hit up Gearhart's Chocolates after hubby's bike race. Their Maya bar sounds awesome.

No comments: