Friday, April 25, 2008

Today's Chocolate

Today's chocolate is not a bar, but a liquid - a very mild one at that. While at Taste Unlimited for lunch today (the Tidewater - a yummy chicken salad on French with Surry ham - yum!) I paused at the drink cooler and found Metromint Chocolatemint bottled water. Cue the gaping doubletake here. I'd heard of Metromint, my boss swears by the lemon flavor, but the chocolate mint was intriguing enough to prompt an impulse buy. The bottle describes the drink as an all natural combination of pure water, mint and cocoa essence. There are no added sweeteners or preservatives, and the bottle has a cutesy, kitchsy design to it. As for the taste? Well, on opening the bottle for a tentative whiff I caught an aroma that immediately reminded me of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. After a swallow the same taste lingered in my mouth but didn't leave a sticky sensation. The water was already chilled - I wouldn't imagine drinking it at room temp - and the flavor leaves a nice aftertaste. At nearly two bucks a pop, this isn't something I'm going to drink daily, but it made for a nice palate cleanser after lunch.


Carob makes a terrific substitute for chocolate, in much the same way that ketchup is a convincing replacement for fine wine. - Sandra Boynton

No comments: