Friday, May 16, 2003

Books Read, January 2003



Coming Home to Mercy Street by Nancy Arant Williams; inspirational fiction, Wings ePress; a young woman takes a break from her job and apartment to help a relative establish a halfway home for teen girls, and along the way finds the experience helps her more than it does the charges.



This book was read for an advanced author review.



The Island by Andrea Crisp; thriller, Wings ePress; a futuristic story in which people with terminal illnesses are sent to a remote island for care; one patient discovers upon arrival that the situation on the island is very dire, and a power struggle among the inhabitants ensues.



A Room With a View by EM Forster. This book is listed among Modern Library's 100 Greatest Novels of the 20th Century. I had seen the movie many years ago and enjoyed it, and the memories of the film helped my enjoyment of the book, made it that more vivid. Not that Forster does not evoke those kinds of feelings anyway. It had been a while since I had read Howard's End, and I admit I enjoyed this book more; the action moved at a more suitable pace for me.



No comments: