Friday, May 16, 2003

Books Read, February 2003



Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow; science fiction, free eBook download; in the future, death is obsolete and people are classified according to the amount of "whuffie" they can obtain; one man's dream life living at Disney World is threatened when various factions conspired to take over his beloved Haunted Mansion.



Who can resist the temptation of a free book, electronic or otherwise? I offer one myself for your reading pleasure. Being that I am ready to dabble in composing science fiction, it makes sense to read more, so when I heard Doctorow had released a free version of his book to coincide with the print release I took him up on the offer. My full review is available via Blether.



Leah's Way by Richard Botelho; inspirational fiction; the story of a young woman from Tennessee who marries a promising athlete, only to see her life spiral downward into poverty and self-hatred.



I read this book at the request of the author, for the purpose of supplying a back cover quote. I don't know if the book has been published yet; last I heard it was under contract.



Niamh and the Hermit by Emily Snyder; fantasy, Arx Publishing; a princess so beautiful men cannot look upon her and live is betrothed to marry a mysterious hermit whose looks are the complete opposite; the union is threatened, however, when one of the king's most trusted men plots against the kingdom.



I supplied a back cover quote for this one, too. A full review is available from Catholic/Christian Book Reviews.

No comments: